Socket within 300mm of gas cooker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan froud

Reaction score
I am currently changing to a gas cooker and wanted to know if it is sufficent to put a blank plate on the current socket

Sorry, the oven at the moment has a flex going into a 3 pin plug going into a 13a double socket, I am taking out the oven and the new one doesn’t require an electrical outlet so just wanted to blank it off.

Supposing it did I would be able to blank the current socket and extend it up to within 300mm above the cooker for example as that would be ok?

Binky is right the 300mm only accounts for above worktop
Behind the cooker/oven you would usually have a 6mm feeding a cooker plate or a single socket so there’s no problems in cables in wagos with a blank plate over the top

300mm even ABOVE a worktop is NOT a regulation..

and some kitchens are so small it would be impossible to meet a 300mm guide...

Basic rule is "Common Sense and reasonable understanding of BS7671 regulations and general good practice guidance applies"!!

Basic rule is "Common Sense and reasonable understanding of BS7671 regulations and general good practice guidance applies"!!
yep, and it's building regs rather than BS7671 if I remember correctly.

Maybe not under BS7671 but the gas regs prohibit it, and it seems in the world of gas regs there's no such thing as a "guide" - it's black and white.

If you had dual fuel provision in the cooker space, ie gas pipe, socket for ignition and a cooker outlet, then decided to change from electric to gas, if the CCU or SFCU for the ignition are within 300mm of the cooker the gas man will refuse to connect it up and tell you the accessory needs to be "moved".

Maybe not under BS7671 but the gas regs prohibit it, and it seems in the world of gas regs there's no such thing as a "guide" - it's black and white.

If you had dual fuel provision in the cooker space, ie gas pipe, socket for ignition and a cooker outlet, then decided to change from electric to gas, if the CCU or SFCU for the ignition are within 300mm of the cooker the gas man will refuse to connect it up and tell you the accessory needs to be "moved".

Really? Are gas people allowed to do that?

I think not

Really? Are gas people allowed to do that?

I think not
Do what? Refuse to connect up a cooker? Of course they can, in the same way an electrician can refuse to fit a pendant in a bathroom (for example).

Factually incorrect.