sockets in car port/garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi, been asked to install a couple of sockets in a blokes car port, which is open either end and has a roof. He intends to put a garage door on and make into a garage, only thing is he want sockets done first and not sure weather a car port is classed as outside and obviously requires the correct IP rated sockets.

what are your thoughts on this? cheers

IP ratings are not just for "outside" use, you must fit all fittings with consideration to environmental influences, its a part of the regulations. You being the installer have a duty to assess what detrimental effects would be reasonably apparent and fit the correct IP rated fitting.

they wont get wet, but obviously if his garage door idea etc didnt go ahead they could get damp being in an open car port. Il go IP rated, cheers

Are they going to get wet Herr Bartlet ?
Is he a squdron leader & likes tunnels

As for the carport .... the judgment is yours as the competant person, me untill the door(s) went on I'd use masterseal or the like.

:slap :slap:slap:slap:slap Nice one !!!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Theres a running joke at my wholesalers because two of the guys on the counter have never seen that film , hard to believe but its true !!!

Next thing you know every Tom, Dick and Harry will be cracking war film jokes! ROTFWL :red card
Don't tell him your name, Pike.

:D

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

Place them high enough for the car to miss them.
What if he's a midget? What about Part M?

[i assume the 'm' is for midget?]

:innocent

Then he'll only have a small car.

Part M allows up to 1200mm I believe.

Don't tell him your name, Pike. :D

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

What if he's a midget? What about Part M?

[i assume the 'm' is for midget?]

:innocent
Part M does not apply to existing dwellings.

Latest posts