sockets in garage with plastic surface backbox

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi

Ive installed some sockets in a garage with plastic surface backboxs on a radial circuit. The cable drops down the walled clipped into the backbox but how should the cable actually enter the backbox? Ive taken the notch out the top but there is a gap around the cable and i wouldnt think it would comply with ipx4? Is my only option to use conduit upto the ceiling?

cheers

You can file the top of the boxes to the profile of the cable, time consuming though but neat

or

Good old mastic

regards chris

Myself I would either

1. Conduit up to ceiling (mechanical protection)
  2. 20mm hole and use a closed grommit (with a slit)
  3. You could use a proper (stuffing?) gland

I would have wired the drops at least in plastic conduit tbh to give it some protection.

Hi dan.

In my opinion the cable will require mechanical protection to at least 2m height if in a garage...........by the way shouldnt that be IP 4x as opposed to Ipx4 as in your post.

a1spark.

hi

i,d go for yt2 plastic trunking if youv,e already done the install you should be able to get away with taking cable clips out and fitting trunking without disconecting your sockets etc

No reason at all why it needs mechanical protection, plus, if the cable needs it, then the sockets should be metal clad and not plastic.

I would leave as is, but just apply sealant around the entry points to the boxes.

Conduit up to ceiling (mechanical protection)

20mm hole and use a closed grommit (with a slit)

You could use a proper (stuffing?) gland

same..but if not at least bring the cable up from undernieth, but i would go conduit..costs pennys

I would go with superspark on this and use white trunking

if the patress boxes are in alreading in then you will need to change them for conduit type /???

no real requirement for mechanical protection unless it is considered that exposed cable would likely to be damaged

used my garage for my first assessment

trunked to to ceiling and then clipped across beams to next drop

assessor well happy with it