sodding plasterers!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyt

Reaction score
returned to a job today to finish a few bits off. the plaster came in last week on his horse by the looks of it. every single switch and socket has been plastered in flush because he said the screws wernt long enough!!??? are these people for real?

ps sorry for poor pic quality

26022010120.jpg

happens all the time.

more common one is to completely cover box between 1st & 2nd fix

so they normally end up back to patch the holes ive made all over trying to locate them

He must have known you can get longer ones ? surely ?..... how come the fronts were on anyway ?. I'm guessing you had to 2nd fix before he came instead of after.

Leave about 12 inches of cable sticking out. That normally stops them filling them in. They can't stuff it all in the box. (leave a note up, DO NOT CUT)

Leave about 12 inches of cable sticking out. That normally stops them filling them in. They can't stuff it all in the box. (leave a note up, DO NOT CUT)
I have done that a few times on switches with a lot of cables but if I do I twist them round that way they can plaster around fairly easily. If you leave a big lump of cables they will just cut them off *******s.

Or a sign saying Warning Live cables!

I did a whoe MOD estate and the plasterers were always plastering over sockets, if it was in a kitchen it meant they were tiled over too. It was only when doing the CU and testing the rings that you found out there was something wrong. A look at the drawings and a few deft blows with a hammer destroyed tiles and revealed the socket. Sometimes ceilings would be down on 1st fix and even though we would neatly clip lighting cables and bunch them together at the drop. They would still put the ceiling up and skim it. I would smash a big hole with a lump hammer and then get the plasterer back. They soon learned.

another trick they do is to plaster in a peice of offcut cable, so when you come back and see it you stand there scratching your head trying to figure out what it is from

every single switch and socket has been plastered in flush because he said the screws wernt long enough!!??? are these people for real?
Plasterers aren;t well known for being all that clever.

He must have known you can get longer ones ? surely ?..... how come the fronts were on anyway ?. I'm guessing you had to 2nd fix before he came instead of after.
of course he knew, but surely common sense would suggest you dont go and do that. then the fact he had done it throughout was a joke. yeah we had to 2nd fix before it was patched up unfortunatly. not something im too fond of as i like to do things in order but 1 thing you dont expect is your fellow tradesmen creating you even more problems. worse thing was the customer couldnt see what my problem was!?? dont know why i bother sometimes..

oh and yeah looks like weve had a nob ed tiler too who has tiled up to the kitchen sockets so these are now flush with the tiles and the outlets and switches are now solid with grout! headbang

oh and yeah looks like weve had a nob ed tiler too who has tiled up to the kitchen sockets so these are now flush with the tiles and the outlets and switches are now solid with grout! headbang
Cooker outlets are a favourite one for thatheadbang

Feel for you sparkyt.

Had one last year .... loft conversion & I put in downlights on landing below, plaster'r comes in & offers the customer to plaster the landing ceiling to cover the artex (not in original spec).

I come back a week later & find all 12 DL's are now plastered in flush....

I like annoying tilers by drawing cracks on the tiles with pencil. gets them every time!
use a thread off of some gaffer/bodge tape & put it on the van door paintwork looks just like a key scratch.......gets a reaction every time] :)

Can't remember where IO sawa them now but did see some boxes that can be put over the back boxes to prevent the plasterer from plastering over them, you then remove them and second fix! Thought ohh thats a good idea when I saw them as have had boxes disapeer a few times but forgot where I saw them now

Can't remember where IO sawa them now but did see some boxes that can be put over the back boxes to prevent the plasterer from plastering over them, you then remove them and second fix! Thought ohh thats a good idea when I saw them as have had boxes disapeer a few times but forgot where I saw them now
but the plasterer would just plaster over them too!

There's those and also sure Legrand did some that just clipped over the box on first fix rather than on refurbs. Also seem to remember seeing something in PE recently.

Use the yoozy boxes next time they are only pennies also had this problem myself customer went ape i suggested flat plate accessories most are bigger than standard type and will cover and sit perfectly oh and guess who had the cost knocked off their bill.

Use the yoozy boxes next time they are only pennies also had this problem myself customer went ape i suggested flat plate accessories most are bigger than standard type and will cover and sit perfectly oh and guess who had the cost knocked off their bill.
the sparky :_|