Spot lights failed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget88

Reaction score
I have some spotlights in a built in wall cabinet which has failed. A friend has changed the switch, all bulbs and changed the power supply box below it but that's not worked any ideas what could be wrong?

Where do the lights derive their feed from? Is it a fused spur? If so it could be the fuse that's failed. 

Where do the lights derive their feed from? Is it a fused spur? If so it could be the fuse that's failed. 

Had somebody try the fuse with no joy 

Changed the power supply that never worked so out the original one back on

Changed the light bulbs and light switch 

The power supply it's connected to is also got 4 plug sockets which are still working so the advice I've got is maybe it's the wiring which I've no idea about 

Got a couple of pictures of the set up here 

http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/football1235/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Runs on a power supply drop down box which lowers the voltage of the lights 

So hopefully something not too expensive to fix?

I was wondering is it plugged in and the cleaner unplugged it to plug in the vacuum cleaner

Do you have a multi meter,, and are you able to test this safely?

Before you go changing items in a seemingly random way you need to test it...

are you getting a supply at the transformer,,,, switch,,, fused spur??

No I don't have a multi meter it's getting power from the White box below that's powering 4 sockets. Another wire goes from it to the lights 

If you can't test it then the only way that you're going to fix it is by turning off the power, looking at all the terminations and then by random replacement which at the end of it may cost you more (in time and money) than just getting someone, who knows what they are doing, out to fix it in the first place

I am confused by this. Can you be a bit clearer as to which wire goes where please?

you have 7 photos posted

1 some lamps

2 a spotlght

3 a switch

4 a transformer

5 the same transformer and a wifi router(?)

6 a double socket (with two power supplies plugged in) and a fused connection unit with 3 cables coming out the bottom, 2 grey and one black.

7 two spotlights

Cant see the 4 sockets or where that is plugged in, cant see where the supply to the transformer comes from or where its other cable goes to (does it dive into the wall?)

Suggest you disconnect everything that is working and try and post another photo

with all the connections a bit clearer. thanks

I would suggest you get someone with a suitable test meter to come along and verify exactly which bits are working so you can then deduce which items need replacing. Should take approx. half an hour to an hour max, maybe around £25 - £30 labour depending upon how far away from you they are. Using your current method you could go on for days just swapping un proven items.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused by this. Can you be a bit clearer as to which wire goes where please?

you have 7 photos posted

1 some lamps

2 a spotlght

3 a switch

4 a transformer

5 the same transformer and a wifi router(?)

6 a double socket (with two power supplies plugged in) and a fused connection unit with 3 cables coming out the bottom, 2 grey and one black.

7 two spotlights

Cant see the 4 sockets or where that is plugged in, cant see where the supply to the transformer comes from or where its other cable goes to (does it dive into the wall?)

Suggest you disconnect everything that is working and try and post another photo

with all the connections a bit clearer. thanks
I have uploaded another 4 pictures to that album if that helps?

Where in Scotland are you? 
Falkirk area 

Hmmmm.......I will be up in Scotland in a couple of weeks time working in Ayrshire. Little bit further than I'd like to travel..........

Tell you what, if you are still stuck in a weeks time PM me and I'll see what I can do. 

ok, it is a little clearer.

i assume the 2 grey cables coming out of the bottom of the fused connection unit (FCU) each go to a double socket in the alcoves above, we don't know whether they are fused via the fuse in the faceplate of the FCU or (more likely) spurred directly from the FCU supply terminals.

The black cable is the supply to the transformer, and is likely to be fed from the load side of the FCU, if you switch off the switch at the FCU and unscrew the little rectangular panel, there should be a fuse in there, what colour is it?

The transformer usually should only supply power to one lamp, but it seems that you have 4 lamps attached, is this correct?

Did this work before it "failed"?

With the FCU switched off and the fuse out, do the 4 sockets, and the double socket next to the FCU, still work?

Questions questions I know, but just trying to understand what is going on.

The replacement lamps you bought look to be low wattage, and 4x14W might be within the capacity of the one transformer, but I am not sure if there would be enough power to start 4 lamps, others would know.

Yes these bulbs worked before all 4 worked. The plug sockets are also workin with the fuse in our out I can't confirm what colour it was as it was a friend who looked at it as I'm not good with electrics but it all worked before hand. 

A a switch was turned off and on again in the electric cupboard in my hallway to test if it supplied power to a plug in my shed it was around this time it stopped working but the switch was put back.

Other than that nothing was ever changed the new bulb had been working in the set up for around 3-4 weeks so I can't see it being that.

How many bulbs in total off the transformer? The transformer has a minimum load of 35w and if you are only putting in 2 14w bulbs (only see 2 in the picture) then there is possibly not enough draw on the transformer for it to work. 

How many bulbs in total off the transformer?
So now we are gardeners? I hate it when people call them bulbs, it is my pet hate.

I am not picking at you doormatt26, just quoted as your the last poster, the others are just as guilty.

:Computer problem:

The problem is when working in domestic asking the customer for a new lamp doesn't result in the desired response! I have had a customer come out with a torch as he thought I couldn't see! And judging by the question I am assuming (possibly wrongly) gadget88 would better understand the term bulbs better than lamps so more likely to get the correct answer. Bit like when I go sailing I tell my wife to sit in the left or right vs port or starboard as she just looks at me as if I am an idiot!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Think the op disappeared anyway, I offered to go and have a look at it for him, he said yes, I asked him for contact details, no response.

Latest posts