Spot The Fault™

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i went back to a job today to do some more second fixing. so whats wrong with this picture?

zxw2ut.jpg

can anyone else see the nicely shaped square hole in the wall, with the switch cable hanging out, ready for the dry liner & switch to be fitted?

Had the same with the Polish joiners that are driving me nuts at the moment.

I ended up fixing the plasterboard on the walls myself, cutting the box holes as I went.

But I left them to do the ceiling.

Went back on Monday. Lovely smooth ceiling. Not a wire to be seen, not the one for the light or the smoke alarm.

They now have three spare holes to patch up as that's hoe many it took me to find the wires. NOT my problem.

thing is, other room & landing were exactly the same. yet they didnt get decorated over. and none of the other rooms (although most of them were 2nd fixed by that time)

I'm have a feeling I'm going to get this problem with ajob I'm currently wiring, so much so that I've drawn a plan of the 16 odd spotlights in the kitchen......but still. How much of your hand can you fit into a 72mm hole!

I'm have a feeling I'm going to get this problem with ajob I'm currently wiring, so much so that I've drawn a plan of the 16 odd spotlights in the kitchen......but still. How much of your hand can you fit into a 72mm hole!
I remember doing that using measurements from 2 of the walls, one of which got moved, but did anyone tell us that? not until the lovely ceiling resembled a cheese grater

yep,

^^^^^^+1

every toolbox should have a wire coathanger,

and,

my next tool purchase will be one of those camera thingies,

saving some pennies for the next trade show.  :)

on not having a camera, a small mirror and torch is a good alternative

I never allow builders to bring my cables through for spots they always bring them out in the wrong place and if they do it right you can't use a holesaw. Only down side of this they then don't bring your heat and smoke cables through. I must remember to make a plan of these also.

Take a photo of ceiling at first fix with cables in their respective positions, why I hear you ask! Because once it's boarded you can tap the ceiling and count the joists!!!!! Cables found everytime.

I never allow builders to bring my cables through for spots they always bring them out in the wrong place and if they do it right you can't use a holesaw. Only down side of this they then don't bring your heat and smoke cables through. I must remember to make a plan of these also.
i never have a problem making holes bigger. use a smaller holesaw as a pilot, or if the hole isnt in the centre i can still drill the hole without a pilot

and i have a camera, although done use it too often. usually a quick poke around with a welding rod finds the cable

If it's a dryliner that you're fitting do you not cut that out at the required position anyhow? Surely if you placed the cable it will be behind where you cut?
i probably could have... but since it was wood & lathe, unless i got it in the exact place then i would have to cut the wood again, and risk it not being secure... the only reason it didnt already have the box in was i didnt have a deep enough one with me a few days before when i was there. i knew the height, and rougly how far from the door it was

Last edited by a moderator:
For down lighters I never allow builders/plasters to bring my cables through,,,, they never do it in a straight line

but I always clip my light fitting and smoke alarm cables in a way that they have to bring them through

I had a "friend" who thought he was being clever doing a plan of where kitchen spots (surface ones not recessed btw) were going and where "he" had left the wires above. All very carefully done so as to avoid joists etc. The ceiling was then done in a fancy Artex type finish all interlocking combed pattern. "He" then went back and with his measurements..........first hole hit a joist, second hole alright but no cable above etc. By about the 3rd hole "he" realised that "he" was in fact measuring from the edge of the NEW COVING.........that wasn't there originally! 

:coat

If at all possible I put marks on the floor ( warning...not a brilliant idea if there is carpet or in fact ANY floor covering down!)

Different colours for different switching, or detectors. Ceiling gets boarded and skimmed. Ping a line or laser up from the mark on the floor.....knob on every time!

I also make a drawing AND take pics. Got it wrong once thats why I am so anal about it now

Just saying

Had same issue doing a extension and client wanted me todo it not builders electrician,

Guess what all cables I clipped in place where pulled out and put on top of double layer of fiber glass...

Need to say they had a Laurence size hole cut in the plastered and painted ceiling so could get up as find it...