Spot The Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a look see what you can find wrong in this pic.

Board is being changed out tomorrow, as the items it's supplying are urgently required & I'm not prepared to mess around trying to get a replacement RCD to fit, no one locally keeps CPN, and the nearest wholesalers is too far away to mess around.

Client needs the supply back on, so they are having a new board like it or not.

They are being priced this first though.

The RCD has an incoming supply but no outgoing supply and the test button does not function.

No further time for testing, that will come tomorrow, site was closing, and they wanted me to have some spare parts on site, so asked me to get replacement parts first and return after that.

IF there is an upstream fault then it's a DNO issue.

TT system, don't care particularly about discrimination at this point in time, once they have supply back I will discuss improvements.

The 4 SWA's are sub mains to temporary buildings (steel container type), and the 5th circuit is for the socket below.

I'm not on about the condensation either, though that may be what has goosed the RCD.

However, that is not the lack of supply/rcd/condensation faults I'm on about.

This board was refitted recently when the whole lot head, meter, and board was disconnected and removed and refitted into a new enclosure at the same location since the last time I looked at the site, not worked at the site, I hasten to add!

2015-03-02 14.16.04.jpg

Not a quiz, not trying to score points, just have a look and see what I am not happy about.

No banjo's/ piranhas, 2.5 mm on 32a & 40a breakers. ???

Other than that plastic crap over tightened bus bar connection and just maybe reverse polarity on the incomer?

Dammit Kerch beat me too it!!!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise this was a plumbing forum. Why is it so wet in there?  I hope you are fitting an IP 65 replacement board?

Same as everyone else. No earthing to SWA, 40A supplying a 2.5 SWA etc.

Did you remove the cover?

csa of the solid neutral wire from rcd to bar looks a bit small too compared to the incoming.

looks like the standard solid copper bar that comes with the boards
I've had trouble with that sort of solid bar before.  Not because it's too small exactly, but when you look at the detail of how it fits into the neutral bar. you have a solid rod fitting into a (usually larger) hole, and clamped with a screw. the net result is a very small contact area where it joins the neutral bar.

I've had trouble with that sort of solid bar before.  Not because it's too small exactly, but when you look at the detail of how it fits into the neutral bar. you have a solid rod fitting into a (usually larger) hole, and clamped with a screw. the net result is a very small contact area where it joins the neutral bar.
same here. the copper also feels a bit harder than normal, so it doesnt deform and make better contact either

Are they 2.5 mm  cables or 4.0mm   ? 

Whatever ,  theres  a nice mixture of MCB sizes as others have said ....3 x 20A   a 32 & a 40A  .

Presuming the wire armour is earthed at the other end .    Can't see anything else  ( Didn't see any condensation either)

I suppose the Timeguard socket below could take the main RCD out with it but any of the others would do the same .

I give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back in from another job.

Won't be fitting an IP54 or above, no point, as it is condensation, that will form anywhere and even an IP65 board is not air tight.

The rest of the enclosure is tinder dry & dusty.

Suggesting a tube heater, and I'm going to re-route the cables so no top entries.

Not sure about the sizes yet, I have the same breakers at the moment size for size, it was a rush to get from site to a wholesaler tonight to get something to get one circuit running.

Tomorrows priority is to get the fuel supply back on, else their whole operation will be closed down, as the machines run out of red, and there will be nowhere for the black bag waste from the whole county to go!

After that then I'll look at the remaining 3 SWA's.

I know I can power the socket up via a 20, & run the tube heater from that via an FCU, flex & stat, which I have.

After the diesel pump supply then it is as I say the other 3.

I'll find out where they go tomorrow.

I believe that the pic is deceiving, I would put some of the cables @ 4 or 6mm, perhaps even 10, as I say I'll have to check tomorrow.

Its going to look quite different when wired and connected by a competent spark!
Oops, I'll have to go and find one of them now!  :innocent

Are they 2.5 mm  cables or 4.0mm   ? 

Whatever ,  theres  a nice mixture of MCB sizes as others have said ....3 x 20A   a 32 & a 40A  .

Presuming the wire armour is earthed at the other end .    Can't see anything else  ( Didn't see any condensation either)
I have no idea where the SWA is earthed Deke, however, it must be earthed supply end else it is non-compliant and dangerous.

Think about the failure modes, plus no spark on site, so, the site "operatives" will reset breakers etc. thus there is the distinct possibility that the RCD could be re-closed onto a live:SWA fault which would not clear in this scenario.

So that has to be sorted.

The SWA's are laying on the ground around the site.

The very last cct on the right is, 2.5 if that helps to get your bearings on sizing.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thermal underwear for definite, it's a blinkin freezing place, the wind whips through the valley. I might try to park the van as a windbreak, and it's going to be on my knees doing the blinkin job!

If it's raining, I am going to be well fed up

Just got back in from another job.

I have no idea where the SWA is earthed Deke, however, it must be earthed supply end else it is non-compliant and dangerous.

That's a new one to me as long as one end is earthed it does not matter you are not using the SWA as a cpc

I might do that tomorrow if it's too bad, I'll pop to Arco if I have to leave site & get something like.

Thing is I don't plan on working outdoors that much!