stable block

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

i have to look at a job tommorow, its putting power to a stable.

i'v not done one before and want to know what to look at when i'm there.

what sort of things go in to stables? i guess a light and socket is about it. would you use ip rated stuff?

the system is tt so would you also tt the stable? if so would you use 2 core swa or 3 core swa? on the stable end would you not connect the armour to the met in the stable?

i take it a 6A+16A would be ok for this.

would you use conduit in the stable?

sorry for the mishmash of questions just typing as i think (uhhh my brain hurts now)

thanks

paul

I have done a couple of stables, As dave said, nothing in where the horses are kept and lighting high up out the way as posible as horses sometimes like to rear up on their hind legs. i ran mine in swa and used mk masterseal sockets and switches. all out of horsey reach. also if you suffer allergies then antihistamines are a must. :D

Would agree with the other posters having done a few agricultural installations (more cows than horses). Keep things out of horsey's reach & use PVC conduit or SWA to prevent horsey or rodents sharing the accomodation eating cables & accessories. Masterseal accessories are a good idea (pricey but worth it in the long run) & lighting must be enclosed. Bear in mind that straw is combustable & horses aren't usually house trained or conversant with health & safety requirements.

You should be ok running 3 core out there & relying on the existing earth stake. Agricultural installations require 0.2sec disconnection so check the RCD provision, you'll want 30mA for the stable but try to maintain discrimination (ie don't have 30mA RCDs both ends).

Oh yeah, remember your wellies, horses s**t everywhere!

it was a few years ago now, i wasnt sure how long it would take so i agreed an hourly rate plus materials. If you can see how you can do the job and allow for any problems then put a price that your happy with, i was happier with an hourly rate as i wasnt gonna loose out.. :^O

it was a few years ago now, i wasnt sure how long it would take so i agreed an hourly rate plus materials. If you can see how you can do the job and allow for any problems then put a price that your happy with, i was happier with an hourly rate as i wasnt gonna loose out.. :^O
they want a price :(

is it normaly 2 days for this? as there is not much inthere by the sounds of it, just a few lights and a socket.

Would agree with the other posters having done a few agricultural installations (more cows than horses). Keep things out of horsey's reach & use PVC conduit or SWA to prevent horsey or rodents sharing the accomodation eating cables & accessories. Masterseal accessories are a good idea (pricey but worth it in the long run) & lighting must be enclosed. Bear in mind that straw is combustable & horses aren't usually house trained or conversant with health & safety requirements.You should be ok running 3 core out there & relying on the existing earth stake. Agricultural installations require 0.2sec disconnection so check the RCD provision, you'll want 30mA for the stable but try to maintain discrimination (ie don't have 30mA RCDs both ends).

Oh yeah, remember your wellies, horses s**t everywhere!
how is the best way to avoid discrimonation? do i need to install a 100ma rcd at source? but then the cable is not protected to the regs

Just make sure you can see how the job is gonna take shape, height access is always slower especially moving scaffold or trying to run beam clips and cable if your working alone.

how is the best way to avoid discrimonation? do i need to install a 100ma rcd at source? but then the cable is not protected to the regs
Why do you need 30mA protection for the submain? SWA cable is protected by the armour. Presumably the installation has an RCD at source, what is this rated at? I used to use a "type S" (selective or time delay) RCD at the mains end to avoid tripping a whole installation from a remote part.

If the installation has overall 30mA RCD protection your submain & stable are protected, it would be better if tripping in the stable didn't trip other parts of the installation, without seeing it I can't really say for definite but supply authorities don't usually like you putting stuff in their meter cupboards. Is it possible to split the tails in the house & fit a small CU there to supply the submain? You could then fit a 100mA or type S RCD in this CU & 30mA at the stable (out of horsey's reach).