Starting Out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeASimpson

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct category to post in, but here goes. Thought for the last year to set up on my own. Ive made my decision and I'm going to try and advertise any aspect of electrical work.

Just need a few tips, to be cost affective whilst im starting up. I am going to try and work around my current job. 

Got a few questions... 

Cheaper van and public liability?

Do i need redcare for intruder alarms?

Is there a scheme (like NIC) for cctv and security?

Whilst Im trying to get my own nic scheme, is security lighting non-notifiable work? (because a security company in my area installs them).

Any other little bit of advice and knowledge would be great!

there's a scheme for farting aginst the wind, waste money if you wish. It's only when you get to high end stuff like banks that you need those sort of trade regsitrations to meet insurance requirements.

there's a scheme for farting aginst the wind, waste money if you wish. It's only when you get to high end stuff like banks that you need those sort of trade regsitrations to meet insurance requirements.
Surely cant wire a takeaway or a commerical building without a scheme and insurance?

(1)   Are you a Sparks or an alarm installer ?  

(2)   Most of us fit domestic alarms but to satisfy the insurance companies you need  NACOSS  or whatever its called .

(3)   Redcare, I believe , is the monitoring company , ....telephone link to central control ...who ...I think , phone you when alarm goes off.

(4)    Cheaper van ??   :C

(5)    Yes you need PL insurance ... 2 million should be OK ...about £ 90  pa .

(6)     CCTV ....just do it .

(7)     security lighting ...just do it . Alarm installer don't worry about notifying .

(8)      Some advertising can be a waste of time ....search on here for earlier threads .

(1)   Are you a Sparks or an alarm installer ?  

(2)   Most of us fit domestic alarms but to satisfy the insurance companies you need  NACOSS  or whatever its called .

(3)   Redcare, I believe , is the monitoring company , ....telephone link to central control ...who ...I think , phone you when alarm goes off.

(4)    Cheaper van ??   :C

(5)    Yes you need PL insurance ... 2 million should be OK ...about £ 90  pa .

(6)     CCTV ....just do it .

(7)     security lighting ...just do it . Alarm installer don't worry about notifying .

(8)      Some advertising can be a waste of time ....search on here for earlier threads .
I am a spark, not getting a cheaper van. Got a navara but need it to tow the girlfriends horse and my track car.

Best option to contact niceic? And see what they say?

When you say "wire "   are you talking about alarms or electrics ?

As I said , insurers will demand NACOSS , in the commercial side.

You don't need a scheme to do commercial electrics.   Insurance yes.

If you feel you need the NICEIC then yes I suppose so .   You don't really need it unless customers are demanding it .  In commercial & industrial .

Most domestic work now comes under the Building Regs .  Part P  and to satisfy that you need to be a registered Domestic Installer....or pay a third party to sign off your jobs ...which will be costly in the long run . 

As Binky said , theres a scheme for scratching your ass these days ....all of whom need your money to survive ...if you don't need them , don't join them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do you plan to "work around" your current job. Not everybody want work done out of hours during the week or at the weekend...

And don't forget to tell your vehicle insurance company and HMRC

Go for it. Be prepared to put in the hours, act professionally and keep your prices keen and you will get there. If you feel NICEIC registration will give you an edge go for it. You have a regular job so you can afford to get these things in place and not worry (too much) if you get an immediate return. 

You need to love what you do however because nobody runs their own business for the money. 

Good of luck and keep us posted. 

You need to love what you do however because nobody runs their own business for the money.

Really Essex!

A lot of my prospective customers seem to think that those who are self-employed or owner operators of their own business are loaded!

They also think that every penny you invoice goes straight into your personal bank balance for you to do what you like with, just like their wages do, they are employed you see!

They think that no-one, nor any company should make a profit.

They believe that you are a charity & that they can pay you when they like, and demand discounts and negotiate pricing and, be at their beck and call.

These people are prospective customers for a reason, but, they do seem to be increasing in number, now I'm not sure whether that is because we are getting more enquiries, or because these idiots are increasing in number!

Ok this really depends on other factors other than wanting to go alone, such as your knowledge and experience, location, desire to be the best that you can and doing things right because you should are just a few. Answer these honestly then look at your business awareness, for all of the above will not necessarily bring you success on their own. 

Go for it. Be prepared to put in the hours, act professionally and keep your prices keen and you will get there. If you feel NICEIC registration will give you an edge go for it. You have a regular job so you can afford to get these things in place and not worry (too much) if you get an immediate return. 

Good of luck and keep us posted. 
If I didnt go down the NIC route, how else would I provide test certificates?

loads of other scam providers that are a lot cheaper,

first FAIL,

do some research, seems you really are not as knowledgeable as you may think

BTW,

am I good at my job and competent,  I think very much so,

am I a good businessman,  NO

it makes a massive difference

thats probably why I do maybe 50/50 private / subby

not ideal, but it works for me

first FAIL,

BTW,

Im just looking for people with more experience. Great listening to how other people have failed and what they have successed in. Better to learn at others mistakes, than fail miserably myself

first FAIL,

BTW,

What is the issue with the 50/50 split Steps?  Just curious. 

What makes you think joining the NIC gives you the edge over everyone else?

You’re not going to be landing contracts with the organisations that wrongly insist on it. Mrs. Brown won’t pay extra for you to fit a socket because of a sticker on your van. You will be just another electrician in an overcrowded pool.

Wake up and face the facts before you make a mistake.

If I didnt go down the NIC route, how else would I provide test certificates?

You can purchase certificates from anywhere. The only real reasons you would need/want to join a scheme would be:

1. A certain client insists on it. 

2. You want to use the badge to promote yourself. 

3. You want to sign your own work off with LABC.