starting up solo.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpm

Reaction score
ive been sparking in industry for a long time, always ase the maintenance man , not self employed, but lately i get asked to do lots of domestic work, just small stuff, but ive always done it for free, i know its silly but alot of folks here at work are on minimum wage and the odd light fitting or socket has never been to bad, but now im deciding to take on a bit more work how do i stand with insurance and may be going solo , just now and again foe a bit of extra cash. I would preffere to get insurance and be up front about it all as if i like it i may just bite the bullet and start up on my own. I am c&g qualified 2360 parts 1 & 2 ,2381 and 2391 and i also do all the plumbing and building mainenance at work (weve go 3 factories and im the only one doing it all).

Hi, gpm, would you still have the 3 factories to look after if you were to become self employed ? If so, it could be worth it . At the moment you are employed and doing what we call foriegners, only you do them for nothing. I have to say there is no future in working for nothing.

The present climate isn't the best time to become self employed.

On the other hand you'll never become rich working for someone else.

See what others say !!

Deke

what i supose im saying is what is the easiest legal way, i.e. insurance and tax wise, way to start doing the work for reward, but staying employed in my current job. So no more foriegners as such but above board and earning from both jobs?

You'll need to upgrade your 2381 - to the 2382-10 or 2382-20 (depending on when you gained your 2381)

Also, take a look at our member KME's Business Thread too.

I'd be suprised if there wasn't some kind of 'handyman' insurance. The work you are doing is non-noptifiable so you shouldn't need a scheme. Do you want to do notifiable stuff? If it's odd jobs you could notify.

you can be self employed and employed at the same time, all you need to do is let the inland revenue know, there after you will need to do a self assesment at the end of each year.

On your self assesment im told you just enter your PAYE income and your sole trader income, you still pay your tax with your PAYE employer and just keep a third aside from your private earninigs for the tax man.

I was looking into th exact same thing before i got made redundant in august and was forced to go self employed.

im not very experienced in all this yet but if i were you i would give the IR a call, and then do some non notifiable work ( sounds like thats what your doing at the mo anyway)

as for Liability insurance, im with direct line , i pay about

Is it any wonder that some spark`s are struggling when you got poeple doing the job for nowt:|

Hi, gpm, would you still have the 3 factories to look after if you were to become self employed ? If so, it could be worth it . At the moment you are employed and doing what we call foriegners, only you do them for nothing. I have to say there is no future in working for nothing. The present climate isn't the best time to become self employed.

On the other hand you'll never become rich working for someone else.

See what others say !!

Deke
Good words Deke.

The Godfather

what i supose im saying is what is the easiest legal way, i.e. insurance and tax wise, way to start doing the work for reward, but staying employed in my current job. So no more foriegners as such but above board and earning from both jobs?
hello GPM:D

1/ legal aspects...

if the electrical work is non-notifiable.. and you are choosing to do it for nothing. that is quite legal IMHO as any reasonably competent home DIYer could do the work themselves anyway!

2/ If you are earning money then the biggest legal bit is HM revenue & customs!

All you have to do is ring them up and tell them the date when you commenced self employment.

3/ Existing employeer... SOME employment contracts have limitations prohibiting an employee from undertaking certain types of business venture whilst still employed by that company... e.g. working in an area that is in competition with your existing employer? obvious conflict of interest!

If two unrelated areas of work.. no competition issues should be no problems! ;)

4/ If you are undertaking part-P notifiable electrical work..

you would need to establish which method of notification you are going to follow.. (e.g. council test & cert / you test council check part P bits / you self cert & notify the work), If you are looking at joining a Part P scheme provider .. they will have their specific requirement for you to meet!

5/ Additional thought?????

what is your relationship like with your existing employer? & how busy are you?

say could there be an option of you setting up on your own.. and leaving your employment.. but taking on a contract to still do the work you are doing... so your employer becomes one of your customers..?

e.g. you still do their maintenance but as a 3rd party business not in-house part of the company?

this could possibly work out cheaper for your employer?

but you would loose some of your privileges as an employee?

;) ?:| ? :| ?:|

thanks for your replys, only do foriegners for family and close friends and when a say for free ,most insist on getting me a bottle of single malt or a few tins of the black stuff as they know me quite well Guiness Drink ;) ,as for leaving my employers, not really an opption at the moment, (to much crap going on in my personal life). mainly only doing non notifiable work, and i know about all the schems and such, its just mainly worried about insurence and tax, my employers do not mind me working at other jobs as ive had a few jobs at a time before whilst being here ( both as paid work and voluntary work)

Paul M, i always refere non friends and family work to a local contractor as untill now voluntary work has ment ive had no time for working for non family and friends as i could never be sure when i would be free to do there jobs as i work minimum of 10 hours a day and look after sick relatives after work most days, so i could only do work as and when i could fit it in, but now circumstances are changing and i have some `freetime`to do as i like.

So what insurence and which company, and how about insurence on my esate car, do i inform them or not, as to start with i will only be doing a few jobs now and then just to test the water.

Paul M, i always refere non friends and family work to a local contractor
I understand where you are coming from;)

I wasnt having a knock at you (well maybe a little bit) i just dont understand how anybody can do jobs for nowt:|

I and my wife have a large family between us and they all come for work to be done but they all get charged;) they get it a bit cheaper but has i said they all get charged,Guiness Drink

The only one i dont charge is dear old mum:x if i did it for free they would never leave me alone,you have to draw the line somewhere.

ive been sparking in industry for a long time, always ase the maintenance man , not self employed, but lately i get asked to do lots of domestic work, just small stuff, but ive always done it for free, i know its silly but alot of folks here at work are on minimum wage and the odd light fitting or socket has never been to bad, but now im deciding to take on a bit more work how do i stand with insurance and may be going solo , just now and again foe a bit of extra cash. I would preffere to get insurance and be up front about it all as if i like it i may just bite the bullet and start up on my own. I am c&g qualified 2360 parts 1 & 2 ,2381 and 2391 and i also do all the plumbing and building mainenance at work (weve go 3 factories and im the only one doing it all).
HI gpm Welcome to the forum

I was in the exact same position as you not so long ago, i work in a factory and have set up self-employed. BEST move i ever done, not only am i making my regular weekly income i've just landed a kitchen contract worth approx