Steel conduit question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamoggy

Reaction score
So we have a long section of steel conduit above a ceiling grid with bends for the drops to sockets. I’m no expert on steel conduit and haven’t done anything since college.
I want to install another socket which means breaking into the existing conduit and adding a drop. What’s the best way to achieve this

If you "break in" you will sever all the cables inside, and how will you thread it to add the new conduit, If you haven't got a pipe vice (and bender) and a set of 20mm Di how are you going to re-thread it?

I think you would be better off subbing this part out, or if it is the whole job, walk away. :(

How are the current drops taken from the existing conduit and is it all surface to the sockets.

If you "break in" you will sever all the cables inside, and how will you thread it to add the new conduit, If you haven't got a pipe vice (and bender) and a set of 20mm Di how are you going to re-thread it?

I think you would be better off subbing this part out, or if it is the whole job, walk away. :(
Use a mini grinder/tool of choice, to open a window, pull cables back through it, cut conduit to length, insert a "euro" style T box with grub screws, job done.

Yes, I can pull back the singles, it’s the next part I’m not sure about. Will look at the euro style, sounds like the answer.
Great help guys

Use a mini grinder/tool of choice, to open a window, pull cables back through it, cut conduit to length, insert a "euro" style T box with grub screws, job done.
Could you provide a link to these?
Can see them in searches I’m doing.
Thanks

pull cables back. cut it, fit T, pull cables back through. easy if you can move the existing to fit the T and cables will pull back, not so easy if you cant. which is the most likely one

Drill a hole in side of nearest box/bend .....the smaller the hole, and the rougher the edges the better
Find thinnest flex you can, don't bother with the Earth....that's for gays
Connect your flex with Scotchlocks to any two wires of different colours
Wrap flex around conduit or use sellotape
Connect fly lead socket
Job jobbed

Well that was how the site engineer did it on a job last week. And he knows everything as he was an engineer and asked to teach at one time ( seriously😂 )

pull cables back. cut it, fit T, pull cables back through. easy if you can move the existing to fit the T and cables will pull back, not so easy if you cant. which is the most likely one
Exactly, can’t move existing even if I can pull cables back

If you use a grinder you WILL cut the cables.. Cut the conduit with one of them "wheel" type pipe cutters.. Could not be much easier.. What if the conduit needs to be continuous for earth continuity though??

john..

I've been out the domestic/industrial game for years now working offshore but you used to get a conduit coupling similar to below that one end clamped on to the cut end (remember to file inside and out) and the other end had a 20mm or 25mm male thread you could enter into a conduit box. Doing a search the link looks similar but ith a female thread.

https://www.tradesparky.com/cable-a...ries/dc-cl20ga-adaptor-conlok-female-20mm-glv
https://www.cmwltd.co.uk/p/conlok-c...ale-adapter-20mm-hot-dipped-galvanised-finish

why not use a back entry stop end besa box on top of an existing box , then double-set the new conduit up to the new box , you can run the new conduit where you want, Job done 1645891454055.png

why not use a back entry stop end besa box on top of an existing box , then double-set the new conduit up to the new box , you can run the new conduit where you want, Job done View attachment 13291
I've done similar on a number of occasions. I put a 38mm hole in the back, bush and lock ring, and use a box with at least one more outlet than I need at the time, just in case. Screw a blank plug in it and it's there for next time, saves a lot of faffing about