Storage heater on an outside wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Is it illegal to put a storage heater on an outside wall ?????

i was asked the question today and i thought not,,,,,,,,,but the council think otherwise

Theory why would they object to that?

Is it because they suspect that you might

hang it outside the property?

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

when my plumber mate asked me i thought thats what he meant !!!!!!

they turned it off and didnt bother trying to repair the other two that wern't working

tenants have no heating

bear in mind that this council told a landlord to change his stairs as they were too steep !!!!!!!!

landlord said @/$& @##

You must be joking Theory!! Too steep, I

thought that applied to the bill.

There is no regulation that I am aware of that prevents you having a storage heater on an outside wall. If there was, I would be in trouble as both the storage heaters in my rental flat are on outside walls.

As for stairs, they only had to comply with building regs at the time they were built. Plenty of staircases and banisters would not meet current building regs, but that doesn't mean we have to rush out and change them, even if the property is rented.

The only thing I can think is they have had some building work done and the building control inspector thinks something needs updating.

Prisons bursting at the seams with 'illegal heater hangers', anarchy on the streets, questions asked in Parliament, Coronation Street AND Top of the Pops cancelled. Whatever next?....vertically challenged, ginger, hook-nosed, overweight, Television Food Fiddlers stuffing their jackets with cheese; that could never happen................. :coat

That's why mate, council/HMO assessors don't like storage heaters. We've been asked to go and assess a property with regard to the storage heaters providing enough heat per room. I think they're trying to push Landlords in to central heating.....

ah that makes sense......

but i dont think they should have turned them off and leave the tenant without heating....

I was always advised to fit nsh's to inside walls as a preference. The local council who we do some work for, have recently started asking us to move nsh's to outside walls to try and stave off the damp in their dank flats!