Storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Gents,

I have a customer who wishes to remove his E7 CU and place the Night Storage Heaters on to the main board. He currently has only one heater, in the bedroom of small flat. I am to put a second heater in the living room. I have suggested a

http://www.farho.co.uk/ item. It runs off standard tariff electrickery and does not require E7. He thinks it is expensive to buy but is supposed to be cheap to run. His view is naturally, the tenant is paying so it's not an issue. My question is, can anyone tell me the running costs for a NSH on standard tariff?

Many thanks.

I have 3 tarriffs. cheap overnight is 4.3 pence/ unit, 200 daytime units at approx 20p/unit and the rest at 11.7p/ unit. Lots of different charges now tho'

I have 3 tarriffs. cheap overnight is 4.3 pence/ unit, 200 daytime units at approx 20p/unit and the rest at 11.7p/ unit. Lots of different charges now tho'
That tariff with the first 200 day units more expensive is because you have chosen a zero standing charge tariff. So for a level playing field, compare only the 11.7p day rate.

I too had a customer fit these sort of electric "radiators" and he's very pleased with it.

BUT DO NOT get rid of the E7 tariff, instead convert it to E10. So not only do you get 7 cheap hours at night, you get a few hours in the day at the cheap rate. You don't actually need to keep anything connected to the E7 CU if you don't want to, but you will probably want to keep the E7 immersion heater in use for a cheap rate tank of water each morning.

Set the timers on the heaters to get the benefit of the early morning cheap rate to warm up the house and the mid day cheap rate at least.

It's hard to say if electric "real time" heating is a fad, or there's something in it. Either way if you are going to heat with electricity this is the way to do it, rather than those ludicrous electric boilers.

Regarding choice of which electric heater. A Dimplex panel heater will do the job as well as anything else. But often with these things, It's not about practicalities, but about image. Most people think of a Dimplex panel heater as part of a "rubbish storage heater system" and prefer something that looks like a "propper" radiator rather than an electric heater.

That's the same argument that is responsible for thousands of perfectly good 58W 5ft flourescent lights being replaced by 300W or more of halogen downlighters.