Storage Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hello chaps,

I have been asked to wire in some night storage heaters and just want to confirm if there is any diversity on them or are they classed as Thermal storage space heaters.

They want 1x 3.4kw 2x1.7kw

and these heaters run off a 13aFCU right? (3400/230=14.8A) i take it this little bit is not going to keep blowing the fuse.

and do you do them in a ring? or radial and use 4mm cable?

thanks

paul

Storage heaters as radials, Paul, or two smaller ones looped on a radial. Use a DP switch

for that larger one not a spur, protection is in the dist. bd. Can't be any diversity as they will all come on at once .

We have our night storage (and electric immersion) heaters on a separate consumer unit that is only triggered when 'economy 7 ' is on.

All 16A 2.5mm radials like Batty says.

Thanks Mr Star!so if the guy has 32A mcb i have to run 4mm cable or if poss change mcbs, easer to run 4mm i think
Paul, I dont think running 4mm on a 32 A c.b. is the best solution cos your 3.4Kw unit will only have this breaker for its protection....granted it does not require overload protection though...Seperate 2.5mm radials is preferable and I would use a 20A breaker to protect the 3.4 Kw heater so as not to run too close to a 16A rated breakers capacity as storage heater circuit breakers tend to run hot if heavily loaded & mounted immediatley adjacent to each other in the C.U.