Stripping CAT5

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Evening gents being stripping CAT5 recently using a blunt pair of side cutters, are there any tools about that make it easier as some times I cut through the copper.

I did notice on Patchs shed thread he has a automatic stripping tool in his (very clean) toolbox, is that any good??

When I was in NZ I did a lot of Cat5 and we had belden strippers. They were a simple one piece plastic design with a hole for your finger and a fixed blade. You just put the cable in the slot and whizzed it round and the jacket came off neatly. there was also a blade for separating glued pairs.

When I was in NZ I did a lot of Cat5 and we had belden strippers. They were a simple one piece plastic design with a hole for your finger and a fixed blade. You just put the cable in the slot and whizzed it round and the jacket came off neatly. there was also a blade for separating glued pairs.
+1

very similar to co-ax stripper

I've been running a knife around the outer sheathing which works fine its the inner cores that I tend cut due to them being so small.

Why would you be stripping the internal cores. Use a cyclops cutter to strip outer then either make your plug or punch in your jack. No need to strip internal cores.

Why would you be stripping the internal cores. Use a cyclops cutter to strip outer then either make your plug or punch in your jack. No need to strip internal cores.
That depends on what you are using the cable for really.