STROMA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im currently in the middle of jumping ship from elecsa to stroma. spoke to the them at elex them other week. probably will be going to them in the next month or so

I moved from NICEIC to Stroma this year when I'd finally had enough of the former's haughty attitude and useless organisation.  So far, Stroma seems to be much more friendly and of course much cheaper.  They're still not perfectly organised - I had to send them copies of qualifications etc. a couple of times, but at least they apologised for their inefficiency. I've just had my assessment with them and the assessor was also very approachable (maybe just luck of the draw as I think they might contract out the assessments anyway). Re. the E-Cert software - well it's a work in progress still.  It's usable, but slow and clumsy, with the need to repeatedly fill in the same data, and no options to e.g. tick all boxes on schedule of inspections, then just un-tick the inappropriate ones.  However, they took on board my feedback over the phone, and the latest version of the software is an improvement, plus of course it's free.

Overall I'm happy I've moved, and I'd recommend Stroma for their pricing and friendliness.  Don't know how NAPIT compares, and Elecsa are now same as NICEIC so no point in going there. 

I moved from NICEIC to Stroma this year when I'd finally had enough of the former's haughty attitude and useless organisation.  So far, Stroma seems to be much more friendly and of course much cheaper.  They're still not perfectly organised - I had to send them copies of qualifications etc. a couple of times, but at least they apologised for their inefficiency. I've just had my assessment with them and the assessor was also very approachable (maybe just luck of the draw as I think they might contract out the assessments anyway). Re. the E-Cert software - well it's a work in progress still.  It's usable, but slow and clumsy, with the need to repeatedly fill in the same data, and no options to e.g. tick all boxes on schedule of inspections, then just un-tick the inappropriate ones.  However, they took on board my feedback over the phone, and the latest version of the software is an improvement, plus of course it's free.

Overall I'm happy I've moved, and I'd recommend Stroma for their pricing and friendliness.  Don't know how NAPIT compares, and Elecsa are now same as NICEIC so no point in going there.
Many Thanks for the above post sparky 308 answers nearly all i needed to know.

Did wonder if its possible to still handwrite certs with them as well as it takes much longer on a computer to fill in,well it does me anyway i am knocking on a bit so hate all the smallprint!!.

Cheers SSAB.

just had a call from Alan at Stroma today, spoke to him a good few weeks ago about joining,

he just had a courtesy call to ask if I had decided against them, and if so why,

I havent, simply explained to him that the contract Im hoping to get that requires me to have self notification hasnt yet come off, but is hopefully still in the pipeline,

and why TF would I give twice the price to some other scam when they are a load cheaper, he laughed, couldnt believe I'd actually swore at him, kinda, says he gets it all the time from guys who are fed up,

no BS sales patter, no extras to buy, even told me if I had the experience I had and knew what I should I didnt necessarily need the amd3 [or book] or all the other amd3 books either, I told him straight that I was waiting for the 18th before I bought another set of books, I was fed up shelling out a couple of hundred every few months for new books to tell me I had to use a lead sheath cable for an EV point or whatever BS as I dont install them,

not so much stroma, I dont think,

they were pretty hot on their questioning of experience, how long in industry for, etc,

they reckon they knock back over 50% of short course,

but, thats their version obviously

copy of all your quals, with dates passed, [obviously on the certs], and an assessment from an electrician,

oh, and a smaller cheque than the rest,  :D

obviously the books etc are probably pretty much the same I'd imagine,

min 2mil PL , and prof Indem for EICRs,

I never understood PI for EICRs as I was always taught an EICR should not recommend any work to be done. PI for design yes but EICR always confused me.

Thanks all explains all i need to know about stroma . Move on the way .

Now lets give someone some bad advice in a report and hope our P.I insurance stands up to scrutiny.

Cheers SSAB

I was always told a report is exactly that. No 'advice' should be given such as 'requires a re-wire'. You are there to give a detailed description of the state of the installation and code it appropriately.

Hi Essex 1 ,good day to you!!.

What i meant was you advise (or give a detailed description) that a circuit has a fault or defect that you choose to give a C3 code to , when in actual fact you could or perhaps should of given it a C1 and or possibly repaired it straight away ! . As a result of your wrong coding the place burns down or someone is injured (hopefully never).

This is why you need your proffesional indemnity insurance for EICR,s or thats how i see it.

Have fun this weekend lifes too short.

Cheers SSAB

Latest posts