Stupidest injury ever?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reasonably recently side cutters slipped a bit while stripping T&E and whacked myself in the face .
Yep done that, with the resulting nose bleed.

Isolated a lighting circuit to re-route some MI & relocate the junction box, found a set of tails in the JB terminated in chock block tested & confirmed dead same as everything else in the JB... kept getting disturbed  to look at other sections of the works & retested for dead at every return to the said cable/JB, problem being the last time I tested it was getting late in the day and only a few minutes before a long forgotten photocell that was connected to the tails in the chock block on a different circuit kicked in & it happened to be as I was just threading the piranha earth nut over the bare conductors.

Why were you angle grinding you leg? 
Was angle grinding a gear out of a gearbox, disk got caught in a bit that it shouldn't have causing it to skip out and run across my leg, angle grinder now renamed as an angry grinder. Wasted a good pair of work trousers as well.

Not bad going though, 35 years using an angle grinder and only my 2nd kiss from one.

Back in the day I used to,prat about with minis (RR take note 👠👗)

decided to design and build an engine hoist...purely mechanical operated by a handle and some M12 studding

prepping some of the areas to,weld I got the angle grinder flex wrapped around me, so I passed the angle grinder behind me to extricate myself from the tangle.

for anyone attempting to do the same

A) wear gloves

B) turn angle grinder OFF

finger went between guard and spinning disc

it really really hurt

Arriving at hospital with my left trouser leg rolled up and foot in a bucket of iced water took some living down. (Enter any masonic jokes at the point).

I slipped and my foot went in to lime slurry which then started to boil in my boot.

Balanced on top of a tower scaffold, stripping out an extract fan connected to 6" galv ducting. Drilling out rivets on duct. Last rivet on far side of duct, reached under, thought I had drill bit in rivet head, hadn't, drill slipped, bit snapped, drill,( with broken bit ) scuttered  around and under duct, into my chest.luckily it was winter and I had a boiler suit, T shirt and sweat shirt on.

took battery out of drill and unwound it from my clothing. Luckily the clothing stopped the drill short of going into my ribs BUT it made a small hole in the flesh

oh the naivety of youth!

It's not just sparkys. Joiner mate of mine was using a compressed air nail gun while building a workshop. Nails started to jam in the delivery slide so he decided to have a fiddle with it. While the gun was still connected to the compressed air line. Which led to him shooting hinself in the chest with a nail. 

Fourtunately he's quite keen on a bacon roll or two so his "natural padding" meant no serious effects........

12v Makita drill back in the day and just getting used to it.....decided to tighten the cordless chuck by pointing the drill with bit in towards my crotch.....

Accidentally pulled the trigger whereby the bit started winding my overalls up so much I couldn't let go of the trigger. PANIC setting in and cursing the strength of Dickies workwear I managed to wrench the drill free with only a small burn/hole in my inner thigh.

Well I've never been around so many drunkard, accident prone people in all my life.....

but have have to say you're not a bad bunch, as you do make me laugh. 

Only time in 35 years I've cut myself with a grinder (4 1/2") was when I'd had a beer.....oddly enough! I'd had some steel water jet cut for my brothers astronomy pier and for some mad reason decided to just soften the sharp edges one evening. The embarrassing thing was it was a FLAP DISC in there, not even a proper blade. Went straight through the glove onto the back of my hand. V.sore!

As an apprentice I KNEW that if the old single speed Wolf metal,bodied Back Handle drill 'snatched, on me then I could hold it until it burnt out.

in those days we did not have flat bits it was just an auger bit that we cut the chuck end off

drilling some joists it snatched on me and threw me down the corridor like a ten pin bowling ball. It then carried on running until the flex wrapped around it and ripped the plug out of the wall socket

happy days

I was drilling an oak beam in an old farmhouse at arms length under a floor with a Makita high torque drill (like the old clutchless Wolf) when it spun and jammed my hand against the board above, keeping my hand pinned on the trigger. I managed to flail my other arm about behind me whilst being pinned face down to the floor and grab the lead and pull the transformer across the room by the 110V lead and yank the plug out of the wall.

That drill has caught a few people out. Bloody good for mixing though.

I've not done too much damage to myself working....

except for.......

the standard pliers in the face (long nose pliers though)

and a 4mm earth wire lifted my glasses out of the way and scratched my cornea

..and there is never a day that I haven't got some sort of a cut on my hands

one of the worse cuts that I've had was when I was DIYing a wheel bearing replacement with lump and sledge hammers,,,, I missed a bit and caught the inside of the top knuckle on my 2nd finger... I had a spurt of blood that went straight over the roof of my car (like one of those fountain things)... a bit of kitchen towel and tape and I finished the job...

I now have a floating bit of calcium on the opposite side of the knuckle where I must have cracked the bone

Just wondering if everyone is the same as myself as in when about to undertake the same actions that once injured you , it all comes back to you and you take extra care. 

Working on a new power station years ago , simple job of  installing a fluorescent fitting  onto through boxes in steel conduit . 

For some reason the final 2BA  fixing screw wouldn't start ,  the tapped hole was slightly out , so , like a stupid tosser I decided to drill a bit out ...looking upwards into the fitting . 

Result , steel splinters stuck in my eye ...   B,ham Eye Hospital every Monday morning for about 6 weeks .   

Just wondering if everyone is the same as myself as in when about to undertake the same actions that once injured you , it all comes back to you and you take extra care. 

Nope, as all of the scars on my left finger from saws/knives will tell you.

Only cut myself once with a knife, all down to it being blunt. I was literally stuck in the back of a panel making off a new feeder cable, another electrician passing me the tools. His tool kit was legendary for bent screwdrivers, etc, I should have know better when he passed me his knife.

As for knowing something will hurt if you do it again. My RH little finger always curled up if I went near a live open switchboard, it had had one belt, it wasn’t letting me do it again.