Stupidest injury ever?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah the old metal Wolf drills  ...developed more torque than the Channel Tunnel digging machine !!!

Memories of apprentti spinning round while gripping a jammed Wolf drill ....until the cord winds up and snaps !!!

One of my previous jobs was doing maintenance in a hotel.  I had a call to go and have a look at a broken socket.  Got there and found the situation you see in the picture (the socket was one of the red ones to the right).

So what happened was one of the chefs was messing about with knives and cut his finger.  He went to the first aider, Tom (pictured) who was the Junior Assistant Manager.  Unfortunately Tom isn't keen on the sight of blood so promptly passed out and whacked the socket with his chin, ironically ending up more injured than the kid he was supposed to be treating.

tom.jpg

not work related but stupid all the same. Used to have a habit of 1) smashing old bottles behind the garage and (2) setting off fireworks behind the garage.

One day I set off a banger and the cat went towards it inquisitively sniffing. I rushed in to shoo the cat away, slipped over and landed bottom first on a broken bottle. Lacerated butt cheeks and blood everywhere but I still tried to conceal it..... eventually I had to concede I couldnt hide it any longer and was taken to  A&E where I was well and truly stitched up. Still got the scars

Got away with one as a kid.....

My brother would bring me home 7.62mm shell casings from the Army. My Dad worked for British Gas so we had umpteen boxes of matches. Me and a school mate figured we could make a miniature cannon if we scraped enough match heads off. This progressed to packing the shell case and sealing with Evostick. A few nuts and bolts were added for good measure. We'd wedge it in cracks in the bike shed brick walls and blow chunks out of them. The "fuse" was a strip of paper covered in glue and sprinkled with matches stuck in a small hole drilled in the side. Igniting involved lighting the fuse and standing back. One day the fuse burnt out but no bang so I suggested my mate hold the lit match and get the tip of the flame in the hole in the shell casing.....

When we figured the copious bleeding wasn't going to stop with bog roll wrapped round his shredded palm, the spaghetti looking stuff hanging out wasn't quite right and shock was setting in, we went to the deputy head and I said I'd pushed him against a desk which had a broken hinge.

My "punishment" was to WALK with him to A&E and wait whilst they stitched him up! :)

Good times...

Grew up (or did I? :) ) next to a major motor racing circuit. They used to dump 200ltr drums of spent fuel in the corner of a field but we found there was quite a bit left in the bottom.....

We'd pinch it in Corona lemonade bottles. Pretty volatile it was too. Our favourite trick was to soak the gravel road encircling the adjacent camping and caravan club, then in the dead of night. ..WOOSH!

More's the wonder nobody ever got hurt!

But here's an admission. Riding my Raleigh Chopper past the house of a girl I fancied one day, I'd just bought an Oyster Delight from the ice cream van. I rode straight into the back of a parked Transit and slid up the crossbar. In agony and covered in ice cream. She must have been well impressed. Testicles blue for a week. Told my Mum and everyone else I'd hurt my leg all the while walking like John Wayne.

Got away with one as a kid.....

My brother would bring me home 7.62mm shell casings from the Army. My Dad worked for British Gas so we had umpteen boxes of matches. Me and a school mate figured we could make a miniature cannon if we scraped enough match heads off. This progressed to packing the shell case and sealing with Evostick. A few nuts and bolts were added for good measure. We'd wedge it in cracks in the bike shed brick walls and blow chunks out of them. The "fuse" was a strip of paper covered in glue and sprinkled with matches stuck in a small hole drilled in the side. Igniting involved lighting the fuse and standing back. One day the fuse burnt out but no bang so I suggested my mate hold the lit match and get the tip of the flame in the hole in the shell casing.....

When we figured the copious bleeding wasn't going to stop with bog roll wrapped round his shredded palm, the spaghetti looking stuff hanging out wasn't quite right and shock was setting in, we went to the deputy head and I said I'd pushed him against a desk which had a broken hinge.

My "punishment" was to WALK with him to A&E and wait whilst they stitched him up! :)

Good times...
Slightly related as were talking ballistics. Where I grew up in N Wales was (and still is) a disused firing range, we used to walk round it and pick up spent 303 shells and cases. I found what looked like a mortar bomb one day. It was completely intact. In my 11 year old head, I figured that if it went off I would end up with a black face and spiky hair but nothing worse than that.

I threw it repeatedly at a rock to see if I could make it 'go off'. The fact that I am still here today some 40 years later is testament to the fact that it was a dud or a practice one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly related as were talking ballistics. Where I grew up in N Wales was (and still is) a disused firing range, we used to walk round it and pick up spent 303 shells and cases. I found what looked like a mortar bomb one day. It was completely intact. In my 11 year old head, I figured that if it went off I would end up with a black face and spiky hair but nothing worse than that.

I threw it repeatedly at a rock to see if I could make it 'go off'. The fact that I am still here today some 40 years later is testament to the fact that it was a dud or a practice one.

Want to share a Darwin Award with me?

Munitions.........................hmmmmmm................ :D

Unused charge bags laid out in the shape of an arrow; now you  are meant to make a  trail of propellant as an igniter to the tail of the arrow, which is the lesser charge of cordite this burns into the higher charge of cordite towards the front of the arrow.

So you apply a long port fire to set off the bags at a safe distance by igniting the tail...............unfortunately the new obnoxious troop commander thought he knew best so we let him apply the flame from a lighter at the head of the arrow.........

Result was quite spectacular, flash burns to hand arm face & neck with loss of all facial hair & most of what was on top of his head.

Needless to say he didn't last long in the regiment after that.

Then in Canada on the ranges it was common practice to tape hand grenade initiators (fuses) the the tail gate of bedford trucks, tie the pin to the following wagon front wagon pulls away with a resulting crack a few seconds later.

Or empty 7.62 rounds of the powder making a nice little pile in the back of a wagon then take turns flicking lit matches at it, who ever got it to flame won a night on the piss at the silver buckle in Medicine hat.