Suggestions please!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Customer has an old BS3036 fuseboard squeezed into a cupboard with NO space for a much larger unit.

As it stands there are no spare ways to include a SPD - is omission of the SPD ok in this situation?

Tin hat on

Customer has an old BS3036 fuseboard squeezed into a cupboard with NO space for a much larger unit.

As it stands there are no spare ways to include a SPD - is omission of the SPD ok in this situation?

Tin hat on
I'm sure the customer can live without SPD. What about mounting 2 small boards one above the other.

Tin hat on
It is a problem that that is being seen more often, personally I often omit the SPD where space is at a premium, I would rather the customer has a consumer unit that provides better protection and improves safety than not do the upgrade at all. I have come across very few installations in 40+ years in the industry that MAY have benefitted from an SPD being fitted when a fault occurred
Would fitting the board in an up/down plane rather than left/right be an option at all?

Andy
I have doubts it would comply with any of the relevant standards as the cover would not fall closed as it is designed to and therefore compromise the fire safety element

Link just to the board not sure if you'll get it cheaper else where, I pay 13.50+ for the rcbos and 55+ for the board from wholesalers

I have doubts it would comply with any of the relevant standards as the cover would not fall closed as it is designed to and therefore compromise the fire safety element

There is no requirement for covers to fall closed.
e.g. FuseBox CU's will happily latch in the up, open position.

Who said anything about not changing it?
I obviously misread/misunderstood the op. Sorry.
Could you rustle up a "dual stack" unit, out of two narrow single-row boards suitably linked and basically separate, but intimately connected with trunking around them as needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.