SWA into CU won't fit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comptonspark

Reaction score
Running a 25mm 3 core SWA submain to a new CU. So I terminate the the SWA in a box adjacent to the CU and route the L & N to the main switch in the CU.

However the earth bar in the CU only takes up to a max of 16mm cable. Can I fit an earth terminal block outside the CU and then take a 16mm from there into the CU?. I would also have to do this at the meter end since the switchfuse can only take 16mm as well - but here I plan to use 25mm to MET is this ok?

thanks

Does it comply, with regards to supply size? If supply conductor sizing and supply type call for 25mm EC, then you could "double up" on the 16mm, and have conductors in parallel (if necessary).

KME

I was thinking about the earth not being continuous in the same way that bonding should be i.e. you shouldn't cut bonding if it is bonding to more than one point?

I was thinking about the earth not being continuous in the same way that bonding should be i.e. you shouldn't cut bonding if it is bonding to more than one point?
Crimp it then as they are classed as perm connections.......

was thinking about the earth not being continuous in the same way that bonding should be i.e. you shouldn't cut bonding if it is bonding to more than one point?

Which reg states This?

Regards chris

Earth needing to be continuous? :eek:

I dont think so... :|

How are we going to read Ze (or Ra if applicable)

and/or Zdb, (Zs @ Db)

Reg 542.4.2, page 128, comes to mind...

:coffee

Good one Wozz!

What about unstranding the 25 and fitting into 2 points in the bar.

You'll have unequal no's in each though.

An emerency fix rather than permenant really though I think!

GO with Wozz, I have these for 6mm but no bigger!

Where to get is the Q Wozz?

Sulking due to failed phone memory card...

i ordered two today nearly collapsed when the wholesaler said they might be a 100 minimum order, turned out you can buy individually.

They are not a stocked item so its been added to a head office order, the wholesalers i use is wilts give them a call.

Don't have any wilts around here AFAIK!

Got any makers part no.s?

I'll try RS/Farnell so see what they have, horrendously expensive, but huge stocks, easy to buy on the website and often small quantities.

Mind, i feel a pm to meggermark coming on too...

i will get back to you with the info.

Im pretty sure you can get the sent to you straight from the manufactures through wilts if you pay the P&P.

What about unstranding the 25 and fitting into 2 points in the bar.

You'll have unequal no's in each though.

An emerency fix rather than permenant really though I think!
id say doing that is safer than if the terminal was large enough to take 25mm. at least that way, you need 2 loose screws to get a dodgy connection, rather than just 1. i have done this in the past before and left it like that