Switch start or high frequency

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been asked to replace a large quantity of florries in a car-park. The light are left on 24/7 so was wondering which type of fitting would last longest???? Was planning to fit switch start because of price - your opinions please.

I think you get around 30% to 40% cheaper running costs on the HF.

However the initial costs are quite high.

See " Tricks of the Trade"

In 2000 I fitted a load of HF 6' twins at one of the printers I look after. Within 5 years I would say they have all been replaced. Two makes , Fitzgerald and Crompton but the same control gear.

By the way , don't mix HF on the same circuit as Sw/start.

2 years ago when another printer moved premises we opted for Dextra switch start 6' twins. They are all still up and running with no problems.

Deke

Yes I have some offices with fitzgerald hf fittings they have been in about 5-6years. Some of the ballasts have gone but a lot have the original tubes. I think you get less maintanance with HF but when the ballasts go its a few quid to replace them. The ballast's are tridonic not sure if that makes a difference. So I think its swings and roundabouts with switch start you have more maintanance and HF you have less maintanance but more cost when they go wrong.

Batty

Both makes of HF fittings had Tridonic gear in them . Really thats all there is to go wrong, but they did.

The other thing with them is if one tube packs up they both go out.

The problem at that place is I can't swop them for sw/start because of this not mixing them on a circuit thing, so have to keep fitting HF.

Both makes of HF fittings had Tridonic gear in them . Really thats all there is to go wrong, but they did. The other thing with them is if one tube packs up they both go out.

The problem at that place is I can't swop them for sw/start because of this not mixing them on a circuit thing, so have to keep fitting HF.
I think are designed to do that to protect the control gear so it does not need replacing which can happen if lamp is not changed quickly after lamp failure. You need to switch power off to them to make them work again after replacing lamp.

Just started reading this thread, Fitzgerald went bust quite a few months back they have started up again with the same directors now called Fitzgerald Lighting Cornwall Ltd, mainly doing batterns for the time being, I would go with Dextra fittings, there's a lot more benifits to HF over SS, flicker free, better light output, faster starting, longer lasting lamps, for example the GE lamps will last up to 30,000hrs in HF fittings, Crompton about 10,000, you need to use triphospher and not halophosphor tubes, while there is the increased cash layout about half as much again they should last you a lot longer and save on energy bills.

We never use anything other than Dextra after being with Fitzgerald for many years, them going bust did us a favour.

Just started reading this thread, Fitzgerald went bust quite a few months back they have started up again with the same directors now called Fitzgerald Lighting Cornwall Ltd, mainly doing batterns for the time being, I would go with Dextra fittings, there's a lot more benifits to HF over SS, flicker free, better light output, faster starting, longer lasting lamps, for example the GE lamps will last up to 30,000hrs in HF fittings, Crompton about 10,000, you need to use triphospher and not halophosphor tubes, while there is the increased cash layout about half as much again they should last you a lot longer and save on energy bills.We never use anything other than Dextra after being with Fitzgerald for many years, them going bust did us a favour.
I don't think that is very fair.

Batty