Switched neutrals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no it's defo a neutral and jb's appear to be under en-suite bathroom, 2 way was added after initial install because it's br/bl/gry. It's bite bullet time i fear or do a PIR on 70% of house in agreement with customer (me) conveniently omitting the kitchen lts. ONLY JOKING just thought i'd get the sat am juices flowing
:red card

Joking about what? The PIR and omitting the Kitch lighting? Or the Whole "Switch Neutral"?

A quick way to see if the switches are in the neutral would be to apply a dreaded Voltstick to the switch wire . With the switches OFF the stick would light up, switch ON and stick would go out .

Not a scientific check but you may be on the wrong track ,possibly just getting your colours mixed up.

Not very professional to do a PIR and pretend the neutral switching is not there TBH .

you can do that with a volt meter too Deke - between conductors & earth. sw. live and you will get 230v whilst light on. sw. neutral and you will get 0v to earth with lights on

Sorry guys been out all day, did the volt stick/neon screwdriver test etc etc, no joy. Actually did pick up a live on the supposedly neutral at the fitting that has the main jb.

Disconnected the original switch "live and s/wire" and tested supposed live switch feed to neutral at CU, nothing. Then tested supposed live at switch to CU live, 230v , all with fittings disconnected. don't know how it can be anything but switched neutrals.

The other has not replied on your behalf, perhaps you could?
I could, however I would have thought that any sensible electrician would know of the potential dangers.

One potential danger has already been mentioned.Double pole switching would be safe as both live and neutral are disconnected to the final point of use.

We then have to consider the problem of dissipation with high voltage use,metal halide lighting would come to mind when this could pose a problem.

One of the main problems I would find when any circuit is switched via the neutral would be a, no electrician would expect this and assume the connection to supply to be nullified, b, any loss of earth on a pme or tncs supply would leave a potentially dangerous situation when undertaking any minor maintenance on any installation.

I could, however I would have thought that any sensible electrician would know of the potential dangers.One potential danger has already been mentioned.Double pole switching would be safe as both live and neutral are disconnected to the final point of use.

We then have to consider the problem of dissipation with high voltage use,metal halide lighting would come to mind when this could pose a problem.

One of the main problems I would find when any circuit is switched via the neutral would be a, no electrician would expect this and assume the connection to supply to be nullified, b, any loss of earth on a pme or tncs supply would leave a potentially dangerous situation when undertaking any minor maintenance on any installation.
I rather think with a waffling answer like that (metal halides in domestic kitchen?) you've still rather missed my point.

As a sensible electrician I do understand the potential dangers.

I believe we are now using some appropriate terminology, i.e. "potential dangers", rather tha "huge safety consequences".

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating switching of neutrals in lighting circuits, the point I was trying to make (as I often do on here) is that we shouldn't make sweeping statements which we can't justify.

I rather think with a waffling answer like that (metal halides in domestic kitchen?) you've still rather missed my point.As a sensible electrician I do understand the potential dangers.

I believe we are now using some appropriate terminology, i.e. "potential dangers", rather tha "huge safety consequences".

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating switching of neutrals in lighting circuits, the point I was trying to make (as I often do on here) is that we shouldn't make sweeping statements which we can't justify.
It would appear you will need to read the post before any rebuke.

A waffling answer? read the post I mention no such fitting of metal halides in a domestic kitchen, the reference was only made as an example.

Appropiate terminology ? My original statement would be appropiate in this instance as it includes the word "could".

The statement was not sweeping as it never implied anything or suggested an answer other than any switching in a neutral "could" have serious implications.

I still would stick to my previous statement and would attest that it could have huge safety consequences. One of these huge safety consequences could be death from electricution.

It would appear you will need to read the post before any rebuke.A waffling answer? read the post I mention no such fitting of metal halides in a domestic kitchen, the reference was only made as an example.

Appropiate terminology ? My original statement would be appropiate in this instance as it includes the word "could".

The statement was not sweeping as it never implied anything or suggested an answer other than any switching in a neutral "could" have serious implications.

I still would stick to my previous statement and would attest that it could have huge safety consequences. One of these huge safety consequences could be death from electricution.
If you're convinced that your posts are appropriate and pertinent to the OP's original question, then everything's fine, I've obviously misunderstood, yet again. It appears to be a weakness of mine.

I will watch out for the electricution though, I guess it can be a beggar! :innocent