Switched neutrals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIP IOM

Reaction score
Now here's a tricky one. Put our house on the market (no hips etc over here, estate agents don't know what cert to ask for PIR/EIC or wiring OK written on the back of a fag packet etc) We've lived here for 5 years, I've done bits (changed fittings) but not a great deal.

Anyway, down to the crux of it:- I did a pseudo PIR and found that the kitchen 2way lighting is actually switching neutrals, don't know why but i immediately invesigated and marked up the relevant cores at the appropriate halogen downlighter.

NIGHTMARE TO PUT RIGHT all decorated, floorong etc etc

Advice please

if its wired as 3 plate ie switch wire being twin and earth from switch direct to light point, the switch is obvously wired through the neutral, so take the switch wire and wire it through the live and live side of lamp instead of the neutral side of the supply and lamp

lightfitting.jpg

customer switches lights off at switch to fit lamp or worse, and the fitting is still live.

Anyway, down to the crux of it:- I did a pseudo PIR and found that the kitchen 2way lighting is actually switching neutrals, don't know why but i immediately invesigated and marked up the relevant cores at the appropriate halogen downlighter.

It's not 3 plated, jb's spidered everywhere, live/sw to 1st sw then a 3 core+e to 2nd switch. I guess I knew the answer really but floors up will be a nightmare. Thought I might be able to put notice in switch/CU and light but i guess i was kidding myself. Cheers for replies.

It's not 3 plated, jb's spidered everywhere, live/sw to 1st sw then a 3 core+e to 2nd switch. I guess I knew the answer really but floors up will be a nightmare. Thought I might be able to put notice in switch/CU and light but i guess i was kidding myself. Cheers for replies.
That doesn't sound like switched neutral to me

Before ripping everything apart are you sure the blue switch drop is just not missing a bit of brown sleeving?

no it's defo a neutral and jb's appear to be under en-suite bathroom, 2 way was added after initial install because it's br/bl/gry. It's bite bullet time i fear or do a PIR on 70% of house in agreement with customer (me) conveniently omitting the kitchen lts.

ONLY JOKING just thought i'd get the sat am juices flowing

I'll repeat my earlier post with the relevant part of the quote highlighted:

This doesn't sound like switched neutral to me.

I'll repeat my earlier post with the relevant part of the quote highlighted:This doesn't sound like switched neutral to me.
doesnt sound like switched neutral to me either. which is why im trying to find out how he tested to find its a neutral