Switching off Light affecting TV signal !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike47

Reaction score
Hi

Strange thing happening with next door Neighbours TV , when they switch off their Kitchen ELV (12v) down lighters x6 the TV screen goes blank for a second then comes back on , it is if the signal goes ( Sky Box ) then comes back on , the TV itself stays on .

I just do not have any idea of what it could be , both on a different circuit .

Anyone got any ideas out there .

cheers

Spike

I can only guess that as you say , they are  ELV , so perhaps transformers  that do not comply with the  radio interference  regs .     There were many  very cheapo lighting transformers  going in  everywhere. 

I fitted a couple of self contained LED  downlights   (  the first no lamp type  we had used)   WE happened to have our little site radio on  in the area when we powered them up ....  radio was blanked out on FM  with a right blooming row .

Makes you wonder what frequencies are passing through us every day . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree it will be the 12v transformer(s) and the cheap ones make no attempt to limit the radio interference they send up the mains and 12v cables.   However that interference is getting to (you believe) the sky box either down the aerial cable from the dish or on the mains supply.  Is the dish or dish cable near the kitchen?  Is sky reception generally ok (if the dish isn’t great it doesn’t take a lot to upset reception)   If sky is generally ok I would start by swapping the 12v transformers for decent ones 

I had something like this a few years ago. I had just installed 4 down lights in a room when I switched on they would pulse on and off.

I tested everything I could think of I took 3 lights out leaving one in.

This went on for a couple of hours.

I turned off the radio and the lights worked as normal

To double check I put the radio back on and the lights started to pulse.

I posted recently  that we fitted two encapsulated downlights  along with other work .  When we switched on  my little site radio  went into spasm mode   at about 2 mtrs from the lights .