Tax Discs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So from the end of September we no longer need to display a tax disc.

This got me thinking.

My 1972 Landrover would look a bit bare with noting on the windscreen.

So grab an image off the net, a few minutes with photoshop, and then the colour laser printer.

It's now got a 1973 tax disc complete with vehicle make and registration number. (it cost £9.15 for 4 months)

Up until the end of last month this would have been fraud. Now it's just an irrelevant bit of paper trying to give some authenticity to a classic car.

I had to renew my tax at the beginning of the month.... It's really weird not having a disc :eek:

My wife then decided to remove the disc from the car, it's not due for renewal until December... She got pulled by the plod and was told to display it,,, appparently you still have to display "nil" duty discs until they expire !!! That's what PC plod said

I think its a backward step tbh,

in NI you not only have to display a tax disc,

but an insurance one as well,

means if you have no insurance its spotted immediately.

Im fairly sure its the same in Eire as well, it used to be anyway.

When I was in Australia some years back my cousin there said that the tax disc they displayed in Queensland also gave the driver 3rd party insurance as well, it was up to the driver then if they wanted to get additional insurance to cover them for fire and theft/fully comp.

Definite backwards step, and the idiot plod can think what they like..

From the dvla website;

"From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle. If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle and destroyed. This includes customers with a Northern Ireland address, however they will still need to display their MoT disc"

I miss tax discs, they should never have got rid of them.

On a differant note. Apparently, once a foreign car has been here 12 months you have to register it with the dvla on british plates. There is one of them latvians down my street, has been here about 5 years on latvian plates. Obviously no documents whatsoever and immune to speeding cameras and all the rest.

What they should do, is with foreign registered vehicles, they should have to purchase a british tax disc BEFORE the car is allowed into britain, that can be redeemed when and if they leave. Not having one would make them liable to have their car crushed. Government would raise millions, the systems are already in place to operate said scheme, they would raise millions ands our roads would be safer. Too simple for the thicko government to think up though.

Oh, i forgot, perhaps it is because we cannot make jonny foreigner pay up, that would be racist.

john...

That's similar to why you see cars with Manx number plates,

NO MOT,  and taxed on engine size, so it's generally cheaper, I had a little fiesta 1100 van, tax, £42year :)

When I was in Australia some years back my cousin there said that the tax disc they displayed in Queensland also gave the driver 3rd party insurance as well, it was up to the driver then if they wanted to get additional insurance to cover them for fire and theft/fully comp.
Correct. their tax also insures the car for any driver 3rd party

There's no MOT in Queensland either. you have to have a roadworthy certificate to sell a car, but once you own it you don't have to have it tested.

I have a tea bag in my tax disc holder.

It came in good use this week, we were unloading on a single yellow line outside a job in central London (well actually been there quite a while but the shop sign was going up so it surrounded my van.  Warden walked up with camera in hand and  went to take picture of tax disc as front plate was obscured by the old shop sign. He sighed when he saw the tea bag . He asked  the sign fitters to move the boxes to see the front plate, they refused  and one sat on my back bumper to obscure that plate whilst the other called me. Warden  told the guy sitting at the back he was breaking the law by not moving for the pic, he told him to f@@k off and he did. I then drove round to a car park   :B-

I have a tea bag in my tax disc holder.

It came in good use this week, we were unloading on a single yellow line outside a job in central London (well actually been there quite a while but the shop sign was going up so it surrounded my van. Warden walked up with camera in hand and went to take picture of tax disc as front plate was obscured by the old shop sign. He sighed when he saw the tea bag . He asked the sign fitters to move the boxes to see the front plate, they refused and one sat on my back bumper to obscure that plate whilst the other called me. Warden told the guy sitting at the back he was breaking the law by not moving for the pic, he told him to f@@k off and he did. I then drove round to a car park :B-
Also handy if you need a cup of tea! :)

well providing you are actively loading / unloading, there is no time limit. and iirc, getting paperwork signed is also part of the loading process...so if customer wants to take 4 hours to 'inspect' delivery before signing paperwork as received, then so be it...