Tesla Gateway switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

Am I reading this right, is this device an automatic changeover switch, that would work like a Tesla Gateway?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-...cphy=1006661&hvtargid=pla-1652736459815&psc=1
Yes it would work as a change over switch, dunno about Tesla Gateway, thats way above my affordability.
You need to consider the load at the time of failure, if you were at a high demand level and were importing from the grid, when switch over occurs to your emergency output it would trip the inverter due to overload, the lights would still go off!

Sorry John, I'm sure you've worked out by now that I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so I'm not totally sure what you're saying about tripping the inverter.

As the inverter is designed to switch seemlessley (according to the manufacturer) between on and off grid, would it actually be affected?

I'm now not sure how it would work either for what I'm thinking, as I don't know how exactly the inverter detects the grid presence, there isn't actual power flowing to the inverter from the grid most of the time is there, it's just the inverter having something to push against, in which case that device wouldn't activate if the grid went down would it, as the normal power supply (inverter to house load) would actually get interrupted would it?

Think I've talked myself out of thinking that device has any use.

Jay

Sorry John, I'm sure you've worked out by now that I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so I'm not totally sure what you're saying about tripping the inverter.

As the inverter is designed to switch seemlessley (according to the manufacturer) between on and off grid, would it actually be affected?

I'm now not sure how it would work either for what I'm thinking, as I don't know how exactly the inverter detects the grid presence, there isn't actual power flowing to the inverter from the grid most of the time is there, it's just the inverter having something to push against, in which case that device wouldn't activate if the grid went down would it, as the normal power supply (inverter to house load) would actually get interrupted would it?

Think I've talked myself out of thinking that device has any use.

Jay
I assume you’re running as a grid tied inverter I.e. if for example your inverter was rated at 5kW and you presented an 8kW load then the inverter would supply 5kW with 3kW be supplied by the grid.
Assuming this is the case consider the above scenario if the grid failed the EPS would come seamlessly as you say and switch would change over to feed your consumer units from the EPS output. The 8kW load is still active but your inverter can only supply 5kW so is overloaded and trips - the lights go out.

The 3kW EPS output of my SoFar Inverter can be set to feed continuously.
So 3kW of essential items are wired to the EPS, and remain on when power fails.
No need for a fancy switch.

The 3kW EPS output of my SoFar Inverter can be set to feed continuously.
So 3kW of essential items are wired to the EPS, and remain on when power fails.
No need for a fancy switch.
It absolutely depends on what you wish to have powered in the event of a power outage, if you want the whole house to continue to powered then you need a change over switch as being discussed here, theyre often used with a standby generator, the auxilliary contacts starting the genny. Not really a fancy switch just two mechanically and electrically interlocked contactors.

I'm now not sure how it would work either for what I'm thinking, as I don't know how exactly the inverter detects the grid presence,
Inverters continuosuly monitor the grid voltages via their AC connection. They have to do this so as to allow them to output a slightly higher voltage than the grid. That enables energy from your soalr system or battery to supply energy to your house rather than pull energy from the grid. Think of it as like having 2 tanks of water, one at a higher level then the other. Water will flow from the higher tank first.

Hey guys,

Cheers for the replies.

Binky, surely the rating on it is the same as everything, it's rated for 230V continuous.

John, as always, you're totally right, but I have two 6kw inverters, and two battery banks which can output at 4.8kw each, so I have a minimum of 9.6kw, providing the batteries have power, which I'm assuming from Feb to Nov they will have, only need grid assist in Dec/Jan.

Hey guys,

Cheers for the replies.

Binky, surely the rating on it is the same as everything, it's rated for 230V continuous.

John, as always, you're totally right, but I have two 6kw inverters, and two battery banks which can output at 4.8kw each, so I have a minimum of 9.6kw, providing the batteries have power, which I'm assuming from Feb to Nov they will have, only need grid assist in Dec/Jan.
You will find very very few places in the UK running at 230V. It's not suitable for the UK.

John, as always, you're totally right,
Not according to my other half :)

but I have two 6kw inverters, and two battery banks which can output at 4.8kw each, so I have a minimum of 9.6kw, providing the batteries have power, which I'm assuming from Feb to Nov they will have, only need grid assist in Dec/Jan.
Absolutely fine, I didn't know you were running them not grid tied as such.

The issue is that if you don't know about the huge grid fluctuations, and that it regularly runs higher than they say, every electrical appliance you buy says 230V on it, so you'd be forgiven for thinking a 230V Max is fine.

Last edited:
It means it's good that it's made of fire resistant plastic 🤣

Below is a link to a manual change over switch, note the difference in size, coz it's not Chinese tat. Look at the terminal connections, I doubt you can get larger than 6mm into those and your meter tails are at least 16mm

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...8FxmNVUEg_h1LQi9bEJQGEFpnDlNrjUBoCiUMQAvD_BwE
To play devils advocate and to give you a hard time.........
Theres no voltage rating on the listing, not exactly compact in size, it doesnt state country of origin (may be China), no terminal sizes and it's not a change over switch....
Apart from that it's probably ok :)

To play devils advocate and to give you a hard time.........
Theres no voltage rating on the listing, not exactly compact in size, it doesnt state country of origin (may be China), no terminal sizes and it's not a change over switch....
Apart from that it's probably ok :)
Best look up EN 60947 compliant then.

Doesn't change the fact that Amazon listed item is not fit for purpose. I bought something similar for a small off grid battery system, it broke the first time I operated the switch.

Best look up EN 60947 compliant then.
I had a look at what I could find on EN60947 but I wont be spending £400 to buy it LOL. From what I could see it was mainly white noise no concise information of what we really need to know.

Doesn't change the fact that Amazon listed item is not fit for purpose.
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I bought something similar for a small off grid battery system, it broke the first time I operated the switch.
You're just too brutal :) I don't share your view that anything from China is tat, a lot of goods made in China are pretty good if you buy sensibly i.e. not on price. Most electrical items have some element of Chinese origin.
I did find on Amazon another auto change over switch that claims to be compliant with another British standard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GAEYAELE-A...ons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1
I do howver suspect it also may be of Chinese origin.