Testing 3 phase circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When testing and documenting a 3-Phase circuit, do you?

• Write the results on one line per circuit showing the worst result of the 3 phases

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Write the results on 3 lines of the test cert, showing individual results of each phase. Somehow ind

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Make love to a sheep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (please comment below)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
I record all values, Ph>Ph, Ph>N, Ph>E, on my own docs for my records, and put the worst on the cert, that is the highest impedance and the highest fault current as appropriate.

you missed 'im a 5DW, i cant work with more than 1 live'

I cannot comment on 5DW due to my own career upbringing. Technically, I'm not even that. I am shamed to say, even though I have been in the game for over 10 years now, due to 'external restrictions' I don't have all my qualifications. Long story, but I'm not of apprentiship origin. :blush:

One thing I will say though, I certainly know a lot more than some of the ****e churned out by the likes of JTL. The amount of 'fully qualified', apprentice trained sparks I have come across that cannot do simple things such as 2-way lighting is discusting.

Ooops, off topic there a bit.......

Do the sheep require having a drink bought for them first?

Just a free glass of tap water...

Canoeboy said:
Is it not a 3 Line (or Live) circuit  :innocent

Whats a phase.......

When is a phase not a phase ?

It's a freakin' phase, and it's live!.

How else can we have a 3 phase supply if we don't have 3 phase conductors making it up!  ]:)

None of the above.

Use 3 lines of the test certificate filling in the worst of the results from the 3 phases on the first line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving the other 2 blank?

With some sort of indication that the results cover the 3 phase circuit as a whole.

Effectively the schedule of results is used to identify ways in the board, not circuits.

Easy cert shows it as a 3 phase MCB on a single line if you select the right button option.

Gets my OCD going that does!

I guess it just stems from the fact that that is the way the board is marked up so I have always made the test sheets follow the same layout. I don't think I have seen anyone else do it differently.