TESTING

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiram

Reaction score
What would be the minimum testing required after changing a consumer unit

Isnt it 10 years for domestic installation hope i dont get shot down for this as all circuits should have been tested on unit change. ; \

If you are changing protective device to different kind ie from rewirable to mcb a loop test is needed at furthest point on circuit and insulation resistance is a good plan if an Rcd is being put on circuit to find any faults. This is minimum but maybe a full pir is a goood plan if customer will pay.

Batty

I do a full installation certificate, though you could do an eic for the consumer unit and a pir for the circuits, just seems a bit of overkill if you do two certificates.

When you have altered the protective devises like steptoe has said in his post it is a good idea to test all circuits.

Thats what I do anyhow.

EIC is the correct one, new consumer means a full test on each circuit, you should take that into account when pricing, but tell customer beforehand that any existing faults may incur additional costs to put right.

My only thoughts on this be careful what you are signing for you did not install circuits so do not sign for installation as said I only sign to say the earth fault loop is sufficient to disconnect the new circuit breaker.

Batty

as far as we have been told by the nic you are required to do a full eic/domestic compleation certificate for the entire installation stating on the test form in the extent coloum excactly wat has been done e.g full comsumer unit changed ,main bonds to gas/ water installed etc and then in the condition of the installation section what the installation comprises of ,how old it is and any departures from BS7671(2008). this then safegaurds yourselves from anything untoward that may happen in the future

as far as we have been told by the nic you are required to do a full eic/domestic compleation certificate for the entire installation stating on the test form in the extent coloum excactly wat has been done e.g full comsumer unit changed ,main bonds to gas/ water installed etc and then in the condition of the installation section what the installation comprises of ,how old it is and any departures from BS7671(2008). this then safegaurds yourselves from anything untoward that may happen in the future
I don't see this you have not installed the cabling buy issuing an eic it could be seen you have. Under British Standards we have to only verify that the protective device will disconnect the circuit should there be a fault so the only columns filled in on schedule are circuit description, cables installed and max zs. Any faults found will be filled in departures box.

Batty

I`m with Heath on this guys - full EIC is the only way I`d do it. Extent and limitations are there for this reason - you`re confirming EXACTLY what you`re signing for.

Do I assume that those of you of a different view woulnd`t test the ring for continuity?

Do I further take it that you change a CU, then get your customer to re-energise? You are energising the circuits; therefore you have determined that it is safe to energise. Did you do that by Zs at the furthest point? Then you`re braver than I to sign that off. FULL testing of all circuits - How do you know that one of the 2.5 radials doesn`t end in bare wires under the floor? If you cannot identify it, how can you determine it is safe to chuck 230v down it?

I do a full installation certificate, though you could do an eic for the consumer unit and a pir for the circuits, just seems a bit of overkill if you do two certificates.When you have altered the protective devises like steptoe has said in his post it is a good idea to test all circuits.

Thats what I do anyhow.
But I like KME's answer better

Latest posts