That time of year -- Out Side lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazooboo

Reaction score
I've had a few quotes asking for out side lighting. You get the usual question "why cant you just run a wire up there?" Not wanting to big the job up for my self I've usually gone down the SWA or conduit route where applicable. I've had a look through the good old 17th and can,t easily see an guidance on when I can and can't use flex with out protection, or what sort. I remember something about it being at hight was enough protection e.g. 1.8m. The chaps at the local wholesale said it must always be SWA. I think they may just have a bit too much in stock. Off for a BBQ in the garden now v.hot out side, I can see a few more enquires for outside lights. Useful to know if I can get in with a competitive price on the right side of regulations.

Makes me think that the chaps at the wholesale may be just scaremongering They said something about new regs that came out on Jan 1st. I know the 17th regs are about to change but nothing else.

Makes me think that the chaps at the wholesale may be just scaremongering They said something about new regs that came out on Jan 1st. I know the 17th regs are about to change but nothing else.
Who's done the exams.. :eek:

You?

Them?

Neither?

I think the 'most' applicable regs in this instance will be...

Part 5 Selection & Erection..

Specifically Chapter 52 Selection & Erection of wiring systems.

As Andy says there are numerous wiring types suitable for external wiring...

Its not too hard for any competent person to assess the environment and pick and appropriate cable type....

BUT personally I have never taken any guidance off wholesalers as to how to interpret wiring regs...

I just listen to best prices & product availability from the bloke on the other side of the counter! :C

Was there a question in your OP?

17042010458.jpg

an example off out side light i did with conduit light 36w energy = to a 300w tungsten well impressed pulls less amp then my house lights all so left option for a pir if wanted

retail at

I had already been through chapter52. I guess I had 2 questions one was

1. Was it possible to use flex with in the regulations, especially where protection of cable could be interpreted as having at hight e.g. 1.8m. I'm sure I've read it some where but could be just false memory syndrome. (I'm sure I've read it some where but could be just false memory syndrome).
  2. Is anybody aware of a change in regs from 1st Jan as mentioned by the wholesaler. (or was he just talking out of the top of his head).

If using any unprotected cables flexes etc..

you would need to know of any 'UV' exposure limitations...

e.g.

Some short term usage applications (lawn mower) a flex is all good!

;)

'that time of year'???

where do you live the southern hemisphere?

The time of year for outside lighting is NOV-FEB when its snowing raining and freezing!!

'that time of year'???where do you live the southern hemisphere?

The time of year for outside lighting is NOV-FEB when its snowing raining and freezing!!
And dark early.

If using any unprotected cables flexes etc..you would need to know of any 'UV' exposure limitations...

e.g.

Some short term usage applications (lawn mower) a flex is all good!

;)
you mean to say i didnt need to install n armoured cable in the lawn mower after all :slap

yeah andy but i used 25mm 3 core and exported the earth :D :slap just dont tell steps

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:42 ----------

[quote name='Andy

When I said that time of year for outside lighting I was referring to the chintzy patio lights and mandatory narnia lamp post rather than the utilitarian colditz spot lamps. With the chintzy stuff the client always worries about cosmetics with utilitarian stuff I just go for conduit. Anyway I guess my questions been answered by the lack of an answer ther hasn't been a change in regs after 1st Jan, and I must of imagined this 1.8m stuff.