There's first time for everything....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been back to a customer who's place I wired (new build), it included a couple of UFH mats... one worked no problem, the other one however didn't

after testing I found that the mat is open circuit since the floor has been tiled, obviously I test out of the box and once installed with photo's etc.. (it was ok when I left!)

so it seems that the tiler has damaged this one :_| , so it seems that this is going to be avery expensive un heated floor:_| :_| :_|

can be fixed,

i had a similar job last year, customer called the mat maker, im sure it was heatmat, and they sent out an engineer who 'used a tool waved over the floor'(apparently! lol) for finding the fault, found the break, smashed and lifted tile, made repair, tiler then laid new tile later...

"warmup" do a similar service.........

The engineer comes out, locates fault, smashes tile, repairs damage, and replace tile (IF spare tile is on site!)

Had to use them when a tiler caught wire with notched trowel, and sliced it.......

KME

There is a device for the tilers that uses crocodile clips to attach to the UFH mat tails and it monitors the loop, Any break and it bleeps and flashes. A tiler damaged a mat on a job of mine and he had to pay for Heatmats repair service & got sacked as the monitor was still in its box on the window sill.

i think warm up will come out for 1 free repair, might be befor the tiles are laid though

There is a device for the tilers that uses crocodile clips to attach to the UFH mat tails and it monitors the loop, Any break and it bleeps and flashes. A tiler damaged a mat on a job of mine and he had to pay for Heatmats repair service & got sacked as the monitor was still in its box on the window sill.
watchdog if i remeber correctly.

If you already had one would a cable of fuse finder possibly work in this instance? Might be worth a try to keep the customer happy? Or what about a stud sensor that tells if a live wire is present and you just scan over the floor until it stops showing there arent any live wires?

Dunno if it will work, just a thought:good luck:

It may do Robin, dependant on the depth of the UFH, was it screeded or self-levelled before install (not on this job, obviously, but generically). It would also depend on the type of UFH installed (mat, ribbon, wire etc). Further, I think you`d need to know the layout of the coil (esp. in the case of a loose wire), for this to be advantageous.

The odd thing is that, especially in the case of loose wire, it`s a resistive conductor with an earthed screen; so any damage theoretically creates a short to screen (CPC).

I used to leave a cheap multimeter with the tiler, pre-connected, with my resistance / continuity readings already written down before tiler arrived. Then I`d re-test during / after tiling done.

I believe warmup used to do free callout, once, but it was only before tiles laid - afterwards they charged. Guesstimating (about 5 years ago) it cost about

Unlikely to help as you basically have a faradays cage. You could connect the earth to line.

Must be hard for the muppet to cut the cables when they are inside a screened cable.

they should use plastic trowels.

it is tough stuff, have seen a big travertine tile stood on its edge on the wire befor