Thomson local

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
Had a call from Thomson local yesterday, offering ads in phone book, internet, google searches blah blah blah. Most of it went over my head but i do need to do some advertising. He said it was in conjunction with Elecsa who im registered with so it must be worthwhile, right!? Has anybody advertised with these guys and what was the response? Thanks:coffee

My own personal experience with them is pretty poor but that was a few years back.

I'm a great believer in leaflet drops, footwork of getting yourself out in the market place and of course recommendations. Another good source of advertisements are parish magazines and local free weekly papers, though a small advert in them can be expensive.

Had a call from Thomson local yesterday, offering ads in phone book, internet, google searches blah blah blah. Most of it went over my head but i do need to do some advertising. He said it was in conjunction with Elecsa who im registered with so it must be worthwhile, right!? Has anybody advertised with these guys and what was the response? Thanks:coffee
I advertised with them about 5 years ago, must admit, very little work came from it.

Get some good business cards and leaflets and get then posted through the doors of your target custom, even get out there and introduce yourself to potential clients. Ensure your work is of a good standard and fairly priced and work will soon roll in.

You can just do the free line advert with them & yellow pages.

The local paper is a good shout I pay

Ive paid for the thomson local for this year in conjunction with napit.

basicly in the book there'l be a napit ad with a list of napit installers, me being one of them.

have a look in the yellow pages, theres always ad's like this for NIC, sometimes full pages

pretty crap really doubt i'll get much work from it.

However thomson also do the map for google, so if you intend to have a website and have it well optimised you will come up on that initial list (A,B,C etc) next to the map at the top of google.

This is why i went for it, over 3 months ago, yet still havent finished my site ley alone SEO.

with all that said I REGRET this business decision!

maybe when i see my shiny website as the first few on the google map i'll change my mind...

Thanks guys i have actually opted today to go in a local booklet that covers milton keynes, its costing me

Local mags are great, when i first started i used them a lot and got loads of work from them.

ian

You can just do the free line advert with them & yellow pages.
Not with Yellow Pages any more:

I pay for an advert in yellow pages (and I find it works well and brings in business) but I also used to have the free line advert in the Aerials section (a sideline)

But I've just received this years Yellow Pages. It's a smaller, slimmer publication than before, and seems to ONLY contain paid for adverts.

There is a "directory" in the form of a "name finder" and it looks like that is where they have shoved all the free line entries. So now your free line entry is just in an alphabetical list. NO categories at all. So nobody can look up "electricians" and see those with a free line entry. They would need to know your company name to look you up now.

Pretty useless for free adverts now then. I'll see if that translates to more business for paid for advertisers.