through wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have been pulled by inspectors about this subject many many years ago.

i've either forgot why or never asked

and have always practiced it since

what regualtion if any would suggest not to wire through! ?

thru.jpg

have been pulled by inspectors about this subject many many years ago.i've either forgot why or never asked

and have always practiced it since

what regualtion if any would suggest not to wire through! ?

thru.jpg
Surely not wiring through would involve the unnecessary use of extra JBs (or are we specifically talking about conduit wiring here)?

Surely not wiring through would involve the unnecessary use of extra JBs (or are we specifically talking about conduit wiring here)?
yes conduit job sorry

Is that supposed to be conduit ? Nothing wrong with any of the methods that I can see . Can't see the point of the ticked method with the tee box and angle box above each socket.

The left hand light switch and light fitting wiring passes through the Dist.Bd. So what, no big deaL .

What s wrong with the two sockets that are crossed out ? I do them like that all the time !!

I think you were talking to Mr Fussy Pants or his partner Mr Getalife .

Is that supposed to be conduit ? Nothing wrong with any of the methods that I can see . Can't see the point of the ticked method with the tee box and angle box above each socket.The left hand light switch and light fitting wiring passes through the Dist.Bd. So what, no big deaL .

What s wrong with the two sockets that are crossed out ? I do them like that all the time !!

I think you were talking to Mr Fussy Pants or his partner Mr Getalife .
+1

Done it like that many times!

i can certainly see a logic to it but i don't always bother, the problems arise when you need to replace an item/enclosure with cables that pass through it so you need to remove that wiring to one position either side of the part being replaced. This may not be so much of an issue when replacing a consumer unit but if you are replacing a socket but need to also isolate the lights so you can remove the wiring and there is no natural light it creates potential safety issues.

hmmm wiring through is not done on bigger jobs i.e with design consultants etc

and have had this pulled by nic although was many moons ago but thought it still stood as have always practiced it since and its not been a problem since

I personally don't see a problem with the way you have drawn it..

however if a couple of circuits were sharing the same conduit then it would be bad practice to have cables from a different circuit passing through an accessory... In that case I'd use T boxes.

Lostit , I think these type of things are in the catergory of " Living in the real world" as opposed to the " Passing lots of exams, spouting reg numbers from the BRB and having not done too well on the tools so got a job picking flies out of other bloke's work " method.

Also a case of Electrician's Watif Syndrome.

This affects a lot of Sparks who would be about to run conduit straight through

the socket boxes as you show.... then it kicks in ...... Whatif someone wants to remove a box from the middle of the run , they 'll have to pull the wires out first. Well so bloody what , its no big deal FFS .

I see friend Bengie worrying about there being no natural light when some mystical person comes to remove the board in thirty years time . Well I'm sure this being of the future will find a way , he won't be saying to his mate " Thank the Good Lord that whoever installed this did not pass the switch wires through the board , he has saved us at least five minutes on the job . I wonder who this fine fellow was .?

No offence meant Bengie ;)

totally agree deke. just got the habit from those bollokings

some of you obviously don't work or have never worked in a maintenance situation, things like this could mean quite a lot of extra work for no real reason in some situations and i know it has for me.

its all well and good when all the conduit is one room and all of it is surface mounted, where it really becomes a problem is when circuits span multiple floors/rooms and the conduit runs disappear into the floor/ceiling/wall and you have to search for the other end of it, this could also mean turning off vital services in office blocks/hospitals etc for no real reason either.

the way i see it is part of our job is not only making sure things are straight/level and installed safely and according to relevant guidelines but also as professionals we have to think about how our work will affect other trades and future works, this is what differentiates between a professional tradesman and a bodge artist in my opinion.

Deke, if you were a customer and someone had done similar when building your premises then 5 years later when something simple like a back box breaks the guys doing the repair tell you that in order to fix this simple issue they are going to have to turn off all your lights/sockets meaning your shop has to shut while the work is done and instead of taking 5 mins its gonna take a couple hours or so because of the extra work required pulling out and reinstating the cables that pass through this box and you have to find where the cables even go in the first place. I know there are a lot of what ifs in there but these are things that actually happen when jobs aren't thought through properly and not just in electrics but every trade.

a few times at work now when doing a simple 11" immersion heater replacement the tenant has sadly been left without hot water for days as the cylinder had to be removed due to a stupid plumber installing the cylinder with the elements already installed/wired but facing the wall at the back of the airing cupboard so a 30 minute one man job can become a 2-3 hour 2 man job.

when i worked in schools we always used angle / tee boxes to sit socket boxes on the make them easier to change if damaged, the powers that be liked to see it like this. I can see the logic.

Yes Bengie, have to agree with you, had lots of immersions like that on a housing scheme, then have to explain to the Council why it takes so long and costs so much.

I like to think I have left my (grubby) fingerprints on a job for others to admire in the same way that I often mutter "good man" when I take a job apart and that the sparkie before has made my life easy.

And then we all live in the real world have to compromise with our best wishes sometimes.

Peeps, don't forget under CDM we now all have a statutory responsibility to ensure that we design an installation for the ongoing safe maintenance to be adequately considered.

Thus through wiring could land us in deep hot water if the clown following tries to pull out the wiring without isolation.

I know they wold be a plank, however, we could be cited as it being a poor design.

...a stupid plumber installing the cylinder with the elements already installed/wired but facing the wall at the back of the airing cupboard...
Been there, done that! :C

About a year ago. Water wasn't getting hot (power was getting to the output side of the isolator switch but that was as far as one could get), so might have been thermostat, might have been element, who knows?

I told the potential customer they had three options. Get a proper plumber (if there is such a thing) to remove the tank and have it fitted correctly, knock an access trap in the bedroom wall (the other side of the airing cupboard wall) or get another opinion.

Non-customer chose option 3 so I have no idea of the outcome. Quite pleased, actually. :D

I take your point , Bengie, I have worked in a maintenance situation,as you say , also in industry, hospitals,schools ,police, MOD, but also as estimator in contracting where adding extra tee boxes everywhere loses the job .

If they are specified ,thats fine .

i agree that it bumps the cost up, thats a given but people should accept that there's a cost to getting the job done properly.