Time off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi74

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I could do with some advice.

I've got a small Ltd company. We are 2 sparks and 2 apprentice. I run the company on all levels. 

I have an operation coming up in the next 12 months, I will be on crutches between 3 week's and 3 months. 

I have nobody to fill my shoes (looking at jobs, loss of 1 sparky and driver etc.)

How do I support myself and the business.

Cheers

Get a subby to cover you on the tools, carry on doing the paperwork as normal.

Is it time for one of the apprentices to step up, is he nearly out of his time?

If not you'll have to take on a temporary worker.

By rights self employed guys should have insurance on themselves to cover sickness. 

I wish you well and hope you are on the lower end of the recovery time scale.

As Lurchio says , a subby  to cover your input on the tools.

Your income will drop obviously  but health comes first .   You'll get through it  .  Hopefully you can get a trustworthy subby ,  you should be able to manage the office side , perhaps someone could drive you round  to look at jobs for quoting etc.

Possibly just draw enough money to get through the week ..  use up a bit of what you put by perhaps .   The benefit system dries up for us after two years self employed.    Flog your Beamer and live off that  until you're up and running again .  

It will be hard times for a while I'm afraid 

As said ....how experienced are the apprentices . ?

What would you have done if it was the other Sparky being off for 3 months I ask ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a limited company and I'm assuming you are a director, that will reduce your options of claiming much off the state....

I pay for insurance that would pay out about 60% of my nett income per month for 1 year, after 30 days - some may suggest its a "luxury" but I think its just an expense of "protecting" my family and would also take the pressure off the wife as she would have to work more hours in the wards....

also avoid booking too much work for that time period - hate to state the obvious, but you need to focus on getting better rather than stressing about jobs being done.

Have to also consider, if you are off the tools, are your staff likely to support you in your hour of need? If the answer is NO, sack the ungrateful buggers  :^O

Yep , get help , or as has been said get one of them to step into the breach, hopefully you will find out whom your friends are in the nicest possible way.

I have been in a similar situation and was overwhelmed by the support of my mates.