Tips for setting up in business on my own?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ9898

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm due to qualify very soon. As some of you may have read in a post i made last week its looking slim that i will get offered a job when i qualify, or at best it will be on a rolling 1 month contract working for circa

Thanks for that, will have a quick read now. Wheres that little gem hidden? Ive never noticed it before :)

Lol Thanks. I never really look at the top bar i guess thats why ive not noticed it before.

Just scanned through the jpegs that are linked on site, luckily alot of it what ive read so far im fairly fluent with as i did a couple of business a-levels when i left school. I never thought id need to be able to double entry book keeping again...how wrong i was lol

Lol Thanks. I never really look at the top bar i guess thats why ive not noticed it before.Just scanned through the jpegs that are linked on site, luckily alot of it what ive read so far im fairly fluent with as i did a couple of business a-levels when i left school. I never thought id need to be able to double entry book keeping again...how wrong i was lol
Anything else you need to know just ask, im sure, no, i know;) the boys will give you plenty of help and advice. :)

At college and at work ive generally used a megger mft. Although i have also used the seperate robin (sp?) testers.

Im going away tomorow, so ive been a little busy to do insurance quotes today but i will certainly be shopping around when i get back.

At college and at work ive generally used a megger mft. Although i have also used the seperate robin (sp?) testers.Im going away tomorow, so ive been a little busy to do insurance quotes today but i will certainly be shopping around when i get back.
If you may be on your own then buying a tester you are used to might make more sense than getting a cheaper one that you need to become familiar with from scratch. Even if it costs a bit more?

Yeah, i would be looking to buy a Megger branded tester. Ive used a few different models of Megger so im pretty adaptable as to which one i buy. Theyve all been fairly similar but some have had auto rcd test for example.

From what ive found so far im typically looking at

Yeah, i would be looking to buy a Megger branded tester. Ive used a few different models of Megger so im pretty adaptable as to which one i buy. Theyve all been fairly similar but some have had auto rcd test for example.From what ive found so far im typically looking at

SIGN-WRITING FOR VAN: Instead of going to expense of sign-writing your van, you could think about the magnetic panels you can get made up by on-line companies like Vistaprint for about

Unfortunately they do not look as proffesional as full van livery and can give the impression of a lacklustre attemp at advertisement.Your van is the single most powerfull arsenal at your disposal to show who you are, they need to be eye catching and easy to read.

I get many a call from passing motorists.

(A plumber friend of mine had magnetic signs it looked awfull)
Agreed! However - I do find them acceptable to have them on your personal car. ;)

Agreed! However - I do find them acceptable to have them on your personal car. ;)
I do agree with that, also a website address if you have one.

All adverts are good.

my car is fully signwritten just like tha van.

other problems with magnetics is they dont have a perfect fix to car, the air passing car could remove them for you. and there more likely to be stolen

Sorry for the slow reply guys. Ive been away for the week. Ive kept an eye on the thread on my phone but figured it too difficult and long winded to type a reply.

Stationary? i.e. what method of elec certificates are you considering,paper handwritten

electronic PC write & print?

Business cards?
Certs etc i would be looking to electronically where possible. Purely as it looks alot more profesional and neater.

Uniform !!! Old jeans and a sweat shirt.
In my opinion someone in a clean tidy uniform looks more profesional than someone in old jeans and tshirt, especially if your going out to price a job up.