TNS Earth Clamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerns noted guys , will do Ze tomorrow for my own peace of mind , this type of clamp setup apparently not unique to me either

Do my eye's deceive me or does that CU not have even a single RCD, post 18.

Do my eye's deceive me or does that CU not have even a single RCD, post 18.
nothing wrong with your eyes mike j !! its in better condition than most round here , will be bringing all upto date over next year as renovation is ongoing new cabling/circuits , new board/rcbos , sockets where we need them etc

Would it not be better to get at least one RCD in place prior to starting renovations, you never know what you will find buried inside walls and under floorboards, IMO a CU change to an all RCBO board would be my first job.

Would it not be better to get at least one RCD in place prior to starting renovations, you never know what you will find buried inside walls and under floorboards, IMO a CU change to an all RCBO board would be my first job.
Yes your right mike , thinking about it makes sense to do board first , run new circuits straight into new board later , as and when ready , doh!! Had my new build first fix head on! Cheers👍 , checked Ze yesterday 0.19 , all good

Yes your right mike , thinking about it makes sense to do board first , run new circuits straight into new board later , as and when ready , doh!! Had my new build first fix head on! Cheers👍 , checked Ze yesterday 0.19 , all good

Just have a few MCB's to hand in case of existing circuit issues. :)

Also just because your existing board may have ten modules does not mean you have to replace it with a ten, more is better, I know this will cause comment, but IMO RCBO's and MCB 's should all be duel module, easier for testing and tracing faults.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your helpful responses. It has been sorted by UKPN finally.

Can you guide me a little about RCD and RCBOs, please? We invited a few electricians to provide us with quotes for EICR etc and have been advised to change the fusebox as it is 25 years old. However, one says we need to have RCBOs in place and the other says, RCBOs trip very easily instead put RCD.

In terms of companies, which one is best in terms of fuseboxes?

Get another quote or 2 is my advice and tell them you want a rcbo board with SPD

dual or even single RCD boards are not ideal, and in some eyes non compliant.

So you bought a house not knowing the condition of the electrical installation, you may need a £5000 rewire, did you negotiate a discount because of the condition of the electrics, seems pretty dopey to me

Phil

However, one says we need to have RCBOs in place and the other says, RCBOs trip very easily instead put RCD.
both will trip at the same fault current. however one will take out a single circuit, the other will take out half the house. and since RCD's are usually covering more than 1 circuit, they tend to trip more than RCBO's...

mains difference? price. RCD/ dual split boards are cheaper and non compliant with standards