Too Much Pressure In Boiler What Do I Do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewy67

Reaction score
I saw the meter for the pressure and it was below 1 so I tried releasing pressure into it. I'm sure the pressure should be between 1 and 1.5 right? so I released some pressure into it. but somehow when I shut off the valve the pressure was still rising and now its near 3 so I decided to shut everything off. I tried bleeding the radiator but I don't think it did the job maybe I did it wrong. someone please help what should I do ? is it dangerous? sorry bout my english.

Probably not, below 3 should be ok normally,

If you do want to bleed some pressure out make sure the system is running when you do it,

The pressure will normally rise a little as the water heats up, plus, the pump running will help release the pressure.

NO, sorry it has to be 1 / 1.5 bar maximum.

NEVER release pressure with the system running.

As you guessed, you should bleed a radiator until the pressure drops to 1 bar.  If the pressure still rises you have the inlet tap still turned on.

If the pressure gets too high the pressure relief valve will operate and once they do they never seal properly and should be changed

most boilers will work upto 3 bar quite happily, but when heating is on, if the system goes higher, then as suggested bleeding a radiator is better then tweaking the pressure relief valve. Tweaking the PRF valve usaully results in dirt on the valve seat from corrosion within the system, and it never seals properly again - I've learn't from previous experience :(

I heard just this evening of someone who knew begger all about boilers ,  started fiddling , something about pressure ,  boiler blew  ,  he is in hospital with serious burns to chest & belly .  

Take expert advice.     Preferably on  a heating forum .    

Yes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but all combis have a device called a pressure relief valve, the worst you can do be "fiddling with it" is to de pressurise the system.

Or to put it into electrical terms: No you can't change a light switch you need an electrician.

Bleeding a radiator is not a problem, it is a diy task as is re pressurising when you change a radiator