tools for trainee electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm slightly perverse in my selection of tools. I find that the gap between cheap and expensive tools has narrowed over the last 30 years, and as a domestic electrician on a tight schedule it is too easy to leave tools behind or drop them in inaccessible locations - so I try to limit my losses:-

Lidl - screwdrivers and cutters/pliers - good as any and no worries if you leave them in a loft! Carry a spare on your van!

Testers - Fluke. Nice feel. Reliable. Don't stint on these

Multi-meter - cheapo type as a back up. Great for simple jobs such as storage heaters.

Drills - cheapest! Particularly with SDS - amazed at what

Last edited by a moderator:
Lidl - screwdrivers and cutters/pliers - good as any and no worries if you leave them in a loft! Carry a spare on your van!
I really have to take you to task on this! I used to think more tools were better and would buy lots of cheap tools. Screwdrivers of cheaper makes have hard plastic handles that give you no grip if you get oil grease or moisture on them (that includes sweat in summer!). The tips seem less well formed, less hard and more brittle. Cheap screwdrivers round over and cam out, seem to be the worst of both worlds. Cheap pliers/cutters also drive me mad. They don't hold an edge for as long, I've had a load where the rubber on the handle slips. If I had to cut anything live then I'd want a reputable brand's VDE cutters.

I've come to the conclusion I'd rather have a smaller better tool kit! Wera screwdrivers are my preference and I like the CK cutters. I have some Stanley cutters that I have never really got on with. IMHO the quality of Stanley stuff has gone down in recent years.

I know where you are coming from - but I've found the Lidl Powerfix stuff to be pretty good and cheap. The VDE screwdriver sets when they are in are very good and as good as any I've used - though admittedly a plastic handle. The sidecutters vary. I've got one powerfix one where the angle is perfect and cuts as well as any - and has held it's edge - another where the angle is wrong and it tends to compress the wire before cutting.

The point I'm making is that there is a lot of tool snobbery out there - an sds could be anywhere between 30.00 and 250.00 - but both drill the same size hole in a painless manner. Also if you lose a cheap tool - bit annoying - lose an expensive tool - it ruins your week!

I must have been unlucky with the Bahco screwdrivers I got as I found them very soft, like they had not been hardened and tempered correctly. Bahco do however make the best shifters (adjustable scanners), I have used Bahco shifters since I was an apprentice many years ago.

Screwdrivers and pliers have been pretty much covered in the other posts, but as for sockets sets my favorite is Britool, although when I was in Ameica this year I bought a set of 1/2" drive metric sockets made by Craftsman to replace some I have lost / had stolen and they appear to be of a decent quality.

Must admit I like buying tools as well.

shifters, gotta be 'beta' , best Ive ever used for the money, sockets, beta again, or teng , again, both very good value for the price imho,

but yet again this is down to how much would a broken/damaged fastener cost you?

Shifters, Bahco every time for me Steps, though I do have a few Britool ones that are excellent.

Sockets and spanners are of many makes most Britool to be honest, but I do have some recently that I have got from Cromwell tools and are their own brand which are doing well & IIRC lifetime warranty!

Mm Beta, interesting, I have not tried any of their tools, must get myself something, in fact I need a new 6" shifter, might just try a beta one.

Bahco do some brilliant wide jaw shifters, quite amazing what will fit in the jaws where otherwise you would have a shifter at least 2 sizes larger.

As for other basic stuff [ I will only list basic as my 'other tools' start getting a little bit silly ]

Drivers...Irazola or Wera or Wiha

Pliers/cutters...Knipex, Kewtech

Hammers...Estwing or fatMax [Aldi do a great little ball pein at 8oz, 6 inch shaft, fits in your pocket. Claw version catches in your nads/pocket]

testers....fluke

...however, 2 schools of thought

1) buy the best you can and only buy it once..........however some scrote will always think they have more right to it than you

2) buy cheaper.....when it gets 're-appropriated' you will not become as moody!

.............try to never lend anything to anybody....period. If you do have to lend stuff out then make it clear to the 'borrower' that if they damage or break it that they then own it AND owe you a new one before the ' Sun sets thrice'

The only thing that pigs me off more than lending stuff is having to ask for it to be returned.....Also , if you have to borrow something more than twice then you should own one.

Probably contradicted myself somewhere along the line, but you get the drift................ :coat

I know we are going far O/T but if you want some very good value socket sets the Halfords professional stuff is excellent. They offer a lifetime guarantee on everything but ratchets and you walk into a branch and out with a replacement. BTW the sockets aren't up for use in an impact driver.........

I had a smaller set from them for more than 10 years and just bought this Halfords | Halfords Advanced Professional 150 piece Socket/Ratchet Set half price with an extra 10% off on Christmas Day.

It has a real quality 'feel'

I have a small Halfords pro thru set (vortex I think they call it) , nice little piece of kit for working on threaded bar and the like, if you hang basket or tray, the sockets have a hole right through them, :D

I think the were originally developed for doing struts or something similar, it came with half a dozen or so ratchet spanners too. :)

I have several bahco metric adjustables (havent seen an imperial one yet). Spanners are a mix of King ****, Britool and the like, sockets are mainly ETC from a set I've had 'man and boy' Have several 'roebuck' tools (buck and hickman) Allen keys, ratchet spanners etc also good.

I've got a full set of halford professional which I believe is make by Sykes and pikavent. Lifetime guarantee and have taken ratchets back and had them replaced foc. Also have used these sockets in impact

Driver run off compressor and they were ok but patch may have worked them harder :)