Towel Rail

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Hi

If I fit a new towel rail into my shower room, (power from the bedroom next to it, flex through the wall to a fsu, taken from the ring main, covered by a RCD) would I have to bond it ??

I have a rad in the room which is bonded but that is across the other side and the floor and walls have just been tiled, so getting a earth across would be a pain.

One friend ( an old spark ) said yes but the shop ( a electrical Wholesalers ) said no.

So I'm not sure now,

Many thanks

Lyngarth

Do you have a 17th edn CU and is the installation covered with and RCD(s).

If it's electric heated it will be protected by the earth from the ring!

No?

a bit late for my brain, but, i think (someone will correct tomorrow) you should be able to stick your megger from the MET to the rad and the reading should be below...awwww ****** cant remember 1595 ohms or something.

prob all wrong and someone will post a correct response!

a bit late for my brain, but, i think (someone will correct tomorrow) you should be able to stick your megger from the MET to the rad and the reading should be below...awwww ****** cant remember 1595 ohms or something.prob all wrong and someone will post a correct response!
If there is continuity from the earth terminal on the flex to the metal surface then it HAS to be at earth potential?

Do you have a 17th edn CU and is the installation covered with and RCD(s).Yes a 17th CU and all covered by Rcds

If it's electric heated it will be protected by the earth from the ring!

Yes an electric one, so it has an earth, which I thought would be fine, but as I said a friend, sparky of many years, said " Don't forget to bond it"

No?
Thats why I was not sure and thought you guys would put me right.

Cheers

Lyngarth

BRB states

In a building with a Protective Equipotential Bonding system in accordance with 411.3.1.2, supplementary EB may be omitted where all of the following conditions are met:

1. All final circuits of the location comply with the requirements for ADS according to 411.3.2.

2. All final circuits of the location have additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with 701.411.3.3 (ie 30ma / 40ms at 5x)

3. All extraneous conductive parts of the location are effectively connected to the PEB according to 411.3.1.2.

Note: The effectiveness of the connection of extraneous conductive parts in the location to the main earthing terminal may be assessed, where necessary, by the application of 415.2.2.

Are we not missing the point that this is an ELECTRIC TOWEL RAIL? How can it be extraneously conductive of anything? It's got no plumbing. (Or none mentioned in OP!)

:|

if your main bonding is in place, rcd protected then no need for supplimentary bonding as stated above but in any case i think, towel rads are earthed through the flex and can be omited from supplimentary bonding,

Are we not missing the point that this is an ELECTRIC TOWEL RAIL? How can it be extraneously conductive of anything? It's got no plumbing. (Or none mentioned in OP!) :|
You are quite correct Mr Patch sirApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

It is and ELECTRICAL APPLIANCE

wot is connected via ITS OWN EARTH!!!!

AND it is supplied by a 17th ed compliant CU with appropriate RCD protection!!

it is about as extraneous & in need of bonding as my my left Bum cheek!!!!Blushing:D

Yes an electric one, so it has an earth, which I thought would be fine, but as I said a friend, sparky of many years, said " Don't forget to bond it"
Some of the OLD SPARKS can be the worst!!! :_| :_| :_|

has "old spark" passed his 17th ed?

p.s.

I got 17th ed passed 100%BlushingO)B-)

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Some of the OLD SPARKS can be the worst!!! :_| :_| :_| has "old spark" passed his 17th ed?

Err no, but he has only until next june before he's 65 and going to stop working so see's no point in doing it. Hes a very good spark but stuck in his old ways.

p.s.

I got 17th ed passed 100%BlushingO)B-)

Well done on the 100%, you beat me as I only got 96%

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness
Many thanks to all for the help, will fit it today and now fell a lot happier with the earth for the ring.

Latest posts