Transition to Offshore

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayglynn

Reaction score
Hi guys just looking for and info that could be useful, I'm a fully qualified Electrician and I'm doing my BOSIET and MIST training next week and then on to Aberdeen in february to do my Compex. I'm also doing Rigger and Banksman/Slinger training as it's part of my survival training course. I have no experience off shore so any help is much appreciated.

No I haven't been offered a job but with the construction industry more or less at a stand still I tought there would be more opportunities in Oil & Gas.

TBH , unless you actually know someone in the industry it may be a LOT of money spent for nothing, unless you have a lot of patience and perseverance.

it is very very hard to get into without previous experience,

I have done this in the past and TBH its so long ago they are'nt interested in me now, my only way back in in the fields and then back to UK,

I have seriously looked at this recently as my FIL works in Qatar(unrelated industry), but can still get me on the fields with his contacts,

but its just NOT financiably viable.

I tought the money was pretty good. I'm thinking if I don't get anything by march that I'll do an Instrumentation course, they seem to advertise a lot for that position on job sites also I'm pretty flexible as in I'd be willing to work more or less anywhere.

Jay, it depends on what you think is good money,

offshore in the UK is good money, if you will do the conditions and work rotas,

getting the job offshore in the UK with your lack of experience may be a lot harder than you think,

I was talking about the middle est being not viable for myself, not UK,

I really wouldnt ever want to go back doing that anyway,

Im a bit too old these days, ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 03:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 03:16 ----------

OK,

so Im easy confused,

Jay, you have an Eire flag, where are you from?

what do you actually work at and what quals and experience do you have now?

and what quals are you hoping to get?

and why are you set on offshore?

I'm Irish and I'm an Electrician since 2004. I have other courses such as Intruder Alarm and Access Control, Solar Hot Water systems and PLC's. I've no experience at all in Oil or Gas but I was hoping my skills would be enough for a company to take me on and train me up. The North sea would be ideal but I'd have no problem going to the middle east. I'll definitely want to get the Compex and I'm doing Survival next week but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear.

try PHS , they're not recruiting just now, but are running a reserve list,

working under the US army in Afghan, and if you sort your compex you will get a Q jump, they need loadsa sparks, and especially compex AFAIK,

dunno how you will go with an Irish passport though if you go through PHS though,

atm there are folks from all over out in the holding tents, but I dont think they have an Irish office, they might be able to point you to whoever does the recruiting in Ireland though,

good luck.

Guys thanks very much for your replies. As you all know Ireland is up sh#t creek right now and the company I worked for was one of the first to go in June 08. I got bits and pieces since then and right now I'm doing a bit for myself but it's not great. So I have had a lot of time to research this and I believe there are more opportunities in this Industry and hopefully I'll get something.

Thanks lads

Jason

most of the fields (and generally) work to a version of BS7671,

qatar electrical regs - Google Search

try the 4th one down,

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:20 ----------

remember though,

Ex areas have their completely own set of rules too,

your biggest hurdle is no experience, and no contacts.