TSR 24 AW STORAGE HEATER FAULT ALERT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkytim

Reaction score
Hi I have been trying for some time to get acknowledgement from Creda (now GDC Group) of a problem with the disc type thermal cut-outs fitted in TSR 24AW heaters made between a year and 2 years ago (All now out of Guarantee)

I have been called out to repair several of these of similar age to find the Disc type thermal cut-outs burnt out ( 2 in series 1 re-settable).

They have now sent me 20 Repair kits with the new type of cut-out fitted into more recent models, instruction sheet and all bits required.

I have now written to thank them for sending me the repair kits FOC and to enquire how I will obtain repayment for my Labour costs.

Just wonderd if others have come across the problem?

If You have then Carol at Technical Admin for GDC Group Ltd may well be able to assist You, her number is 0845 604 2330

The kit you require is Part number XL09028

Don't hold your breath for a reply on costs. I was sent some replacement low-volt lamp holder flexes for downlights supplied with non heatresisting .

I was told by the wholesaler that Greenbrook would reimburse labour costs, ( I had two jobs with faulty flexes) Needless to say I never got a penny , Needless to say I never buy Greenbrook light fittings any more, needless to say I never tire of telling this story, needless to say I never recommend Greenbrook either, did I mention the maker? it was Greenbrook if I remember rightly, yes thats right , Greenbrook. ;)

Don't hold your breath for a reply on costs. I was sent some replacement low-volt lamp holder flexes for downlights supplied with non heatresisting .I was told by the wholesaler that Greenbrook would reimburse labour costs, ( I had two jobs with faulty flexes) Needless to say I never got a penny , Needless to say I never buy Greenbrook light fittings any more, needless to say I never tire of telling this story, needless to say I never recommend Greenbrook either, did I mention the maker? it was Greenbrook if I remember rightly, yes thats right , Greenbrook. ;)
IBL are another one have had to replace lampholders in quite a few fittings.

Hi I have been trying for some time to get acknowledgement from Creda (now GDC Group) of a problem with the disc type thermal cut-outs fitted in TSR 24AW heaters made between a year and 2 years ago (All now out of Guarantee)I have been called out to repair several of these of similar age to find the Disc type thermal cut-outs burnt out ( 2 in series 1 re-settable).

They have now sent me 20 Repair kits with the new type of cut-out fitted into more recent models, instruction sheet and all bits required.

I have now written to thank them for sending me the repair kits FOC and to enquire how I will obtain repayment for my Labour costs.

Just wonderd if others have come across the problem?

If You have then Carol at Technical Admin for GDC Group Ltd may well be able to assist You, her number is 0845 604 2330

The kit you require is Part number XL09028
I have come across the exact same problem but I did not realise I could get them free of charge the repair kit cost me

Just an update on this

GDC ltd insist there is NO PROBLEM, please see picture attached

Note spade terminal boots completely disintergrated,

Solder joint failure

Disintegration of insulation on connection lead

Not fit for purpose I would say

What says You?

TSR 24 AW THERMAL CUT OUT BEFORE AND AFTER.jpg

My Creda storage heater actually burst into flames. One of the thermal cutout discs "melted", cable insulation burnt off and the cardboard insulation under the control knobs caught fire. CDG sent me a free repair kit (I had to ask twice). They could not track my first request as these free kits are not on the "system" being "a good will gesture".

I have informed my Trading Standards. This particular model needs recalling before there is a tragedy.

Potentially Lethal?.jpg

Scary stuff.

I havnt dealt with with this storage heater but I have had GDC out to replace faulty Sun Fan heaters in the past, took ages to get through to the right person (someone who gave a ****) but once I did it was sorted reasonably quickly with little effort on my part.