TT system.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an excerpt from the 1988 Electricity Supply Regulations:

Protective multiple earthing

No not really Steps as the DNO's are legally bound to PME all TN-C-S supplies, labelled or not.I'd have to check the legal requirements for labelling, I did not do this.

Their "trade" body now requires that all new supplies are CNE thus TN-C.
It has been in place for over 8 years now.It will have certain retrospective requirements, but these are not easy to find.

Any new supply installed in the last 8 yrs that has a CNE/TN-C distribution must by law be PME.

No hard evidence on the PME labels, YET!

The issue is NOT really TN-C-S it is more the TN-C & CNE LV distribution networks.

There is no legal requirement to rod every joint, just to undertake to ensure that the connections are sufficiently robust effectively.

Why would you wish it to be civil law, in civil law the onus would be on you to undertake the prosecution, in Statute law the requirement is on the State.

Similar to, please excuse the shocking parallel, if you were stabbed in the street, you would not necessarily try to prosecute the person who stabbed you. The Crown would undertake the first prosecution for say ABH, if this was successful, this could then open the flood gates for you to undertake a civil prosecution for damages etc.

Please remember:

Criminal law = Punisment

Civil law = Compensation

There would be no requirement for you to win a court case would there, I can't see the requirement. Please explain?

As for the validity, my post is based on published Statute law, so the validity does not need to be proved, it is there in black & white so to speak.

Akin to speeding, theft, criminal damage or physical assault which are all "offences" under criminal law.

Civil or case law is compensation "based", this is a different kettle of fish.

Or at least that is what I was taught when I studied these aspects.

BTW, Late now, sorry, :good night:
no problem, thank you for your input on this,

I will get back to you with my reasoning behind why i thought it needed to be civil rather than criminal.

I thought then the responsibility could be passed from me to the DNO as if it is criminal and the CPO doesnt want to prosecute where does that leave me?

my rerasoning is if I do something not up to standard then I can be sued, but if it is because my supplier(ieDNO) has failed to supply me with the stated goods then I can be in the deep stuff but I cant touch him,

and as a competent person I can go to jail, where does that leave me in relation to DNO failing to supply the promised PME.?

sorry to be a pain, But Im still very sceptical if this myth actually exists.

Specs,

I can see most of your points bar one, I don't understand what you refer to as a myth.

What myth?

If you can explain the myth then perhaps we can get to the bottom of it?

Also, you can bring a civil case whenever you like to absolve yourself, your business insurer would take care of this, IIRC you are employed, thus your employer would be the first port of call for the prosecution, you may then be brought to the bar as either a witness or a co-defendent, in either case the employers insurers would cover the cost if it were a civil case.

As far as criminal law goes you can't insure against criminal acts, however, if the fault lie with the DNO then your employers insurer should take the claim on to limit their liability in the event of any subsequent civial case.

As civil cases normally follow after the Criminal case, a successful criminal prosecution will normally open the gate for a successful civil case.

It is just that IF the DNO has broken the law then the Crown in some form will take on the prosecution of the DNO.

You can only work with what you have, I realise that you want to do your best and applaud you for that, sincerely, as to what the DNO do it is out of your control.

Much the same as you installing TT and the required bonding, only for another trade or DIYer to come along and remove all those ugly G&Y wires disregarding the safety notices. This would leave a dangerous install that you had done, but again, once you leave site this would be out of your control also.

Could you be prosecuted for that?

I honestly doubt it.