TT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainydays

Reaction score
I was asked to find out why some sockets were not working on a temporary board today.

I plugged my socket and see in and it came up with a N fault.

The install looked rough to me but it is the first time i have been to a TT so i was a bit unsure. The supply neutral was seperate from the service head cut-out. It was basically a Tail block with a single earth connected into it,

2.5 mm

Some how many cables are at the service sounds to me like you only have two. On temporary installs you should only have live and neutral earth should be TT ie rod in the ground and should all be RCD protected. If earth is coming out of neutral block then thats the neutral and not the earth.

Batty

There is two cables going to the service head if thats what you can call it.

To me it just looked like the fuse holder part of the service head, where the phase went to and next to that there is a tail block where the neutral went to. There was a really small earth coming from this tail block running to the temporary C/U.

I can clearly trace the phase and neutral going back to the post in the street.

U/U have been and fitted an isolator and meter so i presume that it is fine. I think that someone had connected into it after they had been

There is two cables going to the service head if thats what you can call it.To me it just looked like the fuse holder part of the service head, where the phase went to and next to that there is a tail block where the neutral went to. There was a really small earth coming from this tail block running to the temporary C/U.

I can clearly trace the phase and neutral going back to the post in the street.

U/U have been and fitted an isolator and meter so i presume that it is fine. I think that someone had connected into it after they had been
As said it sounds like you have no neutral connection in consumer unit to me. With temp supplies you shoud have tail into fuse, live and neutral into what would be connector block that earth is in. Your earth will then come from rod in ground.

Batty

Yeah thats what is there. Phase tail going into service fuse. Neutral into service connector block and then a very small earth single from this neutral connector block going to a small C/U

Yeah thats what is there. Phase tail going into service fuse. Neutral into service connector block and then a very small earth single from this neutral connector block going to a small C/U
That will be why you have the neutral problem. It amazes me what idiots wire these things up.

Batty

Sorry guys but am i not being clear.

From the neutral service connector block there is a neutral going to the consumer unit as well as the single earth

So, temporary board as in half a sheet of ply with a board and a few sockets on it?

If so, I'm fairly certain you don;t need to get United Utilities out and leave the job for a ponder and create a thread on a forum to find the fault. At worst you could rewire it in half an hour.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but not knowing what TT or TN-C-S are, and then dragging UU out sounds a bit cowboy\blagger ish to me. Are you an actual electrician of any sort?

I'm just becoming more confused as this goes on.

I did not get U/U out. The owner of the property did.

I was just sent there to have a look at it, not to modify it in any way shape or form.

Where i am coming from is that i was expecting to find a nicely set of main intake as per the diagram in the on site guide, but what i found is what i described. A picture would probably make it a lot more clear, will try to get one.

Some how many cables are at the service sounds to me like you only have two. On temporary installs you should only have live and neutral earth should be TT ie rod in the ground and should all be RCD protected. If earth is coming out of neutral block then thats the neutral and not the earth.Batty
whats the problem with using TNS?