Tunnel

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Question:

How do you install tunnel lighting, where walking down a tunnel. 20 switches and 20 lights are installed at 10m intervals. the first switch turns the first light on, the second switch turns the first light off but also switches the second light on and so on down the tunnel, so always the the light behind goes off and the one in front comes on. Only 1-gang switches can be used, no relays contactors and it will work no matter which direction you enter the tunnel.

Please can you show me your circuit diagrams.

Thanks

You would need a switch with a NO and a NC on it, not sure if an intermediate would do it actually.
And what does a 2 way switch do?

For the record, an intermediate would do it, but isn't required.

I did this in the first week at college doing my 2360. Aced it. ;)
If you "Aced it" then why not provide some more help than this?

If you "Aced it" then why not provide some more help than this?
I thought it was a general quiz time question? I'd have thought if it was a question the OP was actually stuck on then he's have stuck it in the student and learning section and actually specified what he was struggling with and wanted help on.

If I am mistaken then apologies, I will get a drawing up later, off to Liverpool and Manchester now.

Well it wasn't supposed to be just trying to be was trying to find out why the OP had not had an answer.

For the record, an intermediate would do it, but isn't required.
OK can do this with intermediates but would need more than a few mins to think about it with just 2 way switches.

EDIT: Thinking about it more I can't even with intermediates.

OK I don't even think I understand the requirements now haveing come back to it.

20 Lights with 20 switches? Not 21 or 22 switches with 20 lights? so you are at the first switch and turn it on so light 1 comes on. Go to switch 2 and light 2 comes on and light 1 goes off and then on sw3 L3 on and L2 off but if you now go back to switch 2 you want that to also turn light 3 off?

There would have to be 21 switches, for it to work when travelling both ways.

Yes with the lights in between each switch. So Sw1 & 2 control light A and Sw2&3 control Light B etc..

Trying to figure this one out, I might be wrong but is it not just a differance on a 2 way light ?

I suppose, there is no reason why the switches have to be between the lights. They could be under each light, so 20 switches could be used.

I suppose, there is no reason why the switches have to be between the lights. They could be under each light, so 20 switches could be used.
No - think you were right first time. Otherwise, the first switch in one direction (or the other), would "toggle" between lights 1 and 2.

Or am I going totally ipso nutso???

no, you deffo need more switches than lights, if using 2way switches.

the problem with this is if you miss switching a light somewhere you destroy the sequence and all switches have to be reset, or the one/s you missed,

why dont you just use electronic switches?

No - think you were right first time. Otherwise, the first switch in one direction (or the other), would "toggle" between lights 1 and 2.Or am I going totally ipso nutso???
No, think you're going in the right direction. When we had this question posed it was termed as something along the lines of 'each switch turns off the light behind you and turns on the one in front', so the switches would be lights +1.

Am I meant to be drawing a picture for this? If so I'll leave it a bit longer as I can hear a few brains ticking over now, don;t want to spoil it. ;)

the problem with this is if you miss switching a light somewhere you destroy the sequence and all switches have to be reset, or the one/s you missed,why dont you just use electronic switches?
It's a theoretical question posed to get you thinking during training.

I supose when each switch is operated, it must switch between a light and the next switch.

No, think you're going in the right direction. When we had this question posed it was termed as something along the lines of 'each switch turns off the light behind you and turns on the one in front', so the switches would be lights +1.Am I meant to be drawing a picture for this? If so I'll leave it a bit longer as I can hear a few brains ticking over now, don;t want to spoil it. ;)

It's a theoretical question posed to get you thinking during training.
sorry, I thought he wanted to actually do it,

it is very easily possible,

I could draw it on a piece of paper and post it to someone to scan and put on here if they wanted.! ROTFWL

good question though for an exam/course or whatever, :D

I could draw it on a piece of paper and post it to someone to scan and put on here if they wanted.! ROTFWL
Don;t worry, I'll just draw it myself, save the stamp. ;)