Tutorials

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on then explain.....your cooker cct has no cooker attached it is not connected to anything from the DB all the way to the outlet....where are the parallel paths?
in that example, unlikely to be any parallel paths.

but if you have a spur feeding a boiler, you then have a parallel path through gas & water pipework back to MET. which can then end up with Zs lower than R1R2.

same would apply to an instant water heater connected to a ring main....

or an electric shower

now, do you still want to be a **** and say it can never happen?

I Have...........I fully understand parallel paths. Its just on many occasions there is this stock answer of "dont forget about the parallel paths". It is just a way of avoiding having to answer a question and try to look smart in the process.

As above, if I am holding the live with one croc clip and the earth with the other croc clip...where is the parallel path which runs from one clip to the other instesd of the path that goes from the live clip all the way to the db through your bypass wire and back to the other clip along the cpc. It cannot follow a path from the met along a bonding cable to a water pipe etc because that is not a direction back to the cpc croc clip.

On the other hand, with the immersion, a path can be formed from the met to a bonding cable then along pipework to the immersion tank and onto to the earth terminal.

So if anyone cares to explain im listening

if I am holding the live with one croc clip and the earth with the other croc clip...
please try it. may get better results if you include a parallel path (such as standing in a bath)

no need to post the results....

Herr Tesla,

Can you please word your posts a little clearer as I am struggling to understand your descriptions after 3 days of 2391-10 teaching and examining, my head is a little fried.

What are you trying to measure with these croc clips what are they connected to and what instruments are you using because just holding croc clips won't do you much good!

Well why not explain what you are trying to say then.

I am tired and won't be here for very long as I have an early start in the morning.

What are you doing with the croc clips?

What about the other questions I have asked you?

Once I have my answers then I can prepare an explanation for you.

r1 and r2 what do you think im doing with the croc clips and you say i cannot grasp something

So you are testing a ring circuit with a insulation resistance tester then are you?

If not can you please explain correctly using the correct terms what you are trying to achieve.

Please Sir can you put away your superiority complex and talk sense please. Why on earth would i be using an insulation resistance tester (what on earth is a megger doh ) to look for parallel paths. Go and blow your nose and get rid of all that snot!

Well if you explained what you are trying to achieve correctly then no one would need to make any guesses at what you are doing.

So what are you using to test your ring circuit then?

Herr Tesla, if you are going to "have a go" at other posts, please explain in correct technical terms what you are attempting to achieve, do or are asking.

What are these "croc clips" you are holding meant to acheive, what instrument are they connected to if they are because all you state is that you are holding "croc clips", where will that get you?

Unless you are prepared to explain what you are trying to do and why you are questioning others comments how can I understand what your issues with these things are?

What has all this got to do with ring final circuit testing with regard to RCD's anyway?

You are demanding that others explain things to you when you are not even asking questions in suitably unambiguous terminology.

How can I help you understand, explain or answer your questions when your questions and comments are more often than not nonsensical?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:28 ----------

Oh where did the megger bit come from please?

I missed that.

It would appear " our Nicola" has gone off for a sulk.........

I think I know what was being `got at` ; but I`m not going to assume, `cos I`ll be wrong.

So I (like everyone else) will wait (with baited breath) for the the requested explanations to be forthcoming.......Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Mr Tesla, I'm not in the habit of talking rubbish.

I don't take kindly to outbursts, clearly you do not understand fundamental principles.

Like my friend sidewinder I also teach. I teach electrical installation and I also teach karate. I'd be most happy to give you a lesson in both.

Mr Tesla, I'm not in the habit of talking rubbish.I don't take kindly to outbursts, clearly you do not understand fundamental principles.

Like my friend sidewinder I also teach. I teach electrical installation and I also teach karate. I'd be most happy to give you a lesson in both.
And i will reciprocate n give you a boxing lesson :C come on av a go if you think your ard enough

Now i like voltimax, but i also like nicky. Which one is better?

Theres only one way to find out...........

FIGHT

(QUOTE HARRY HILL)

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

here is an example of a test done by someone

cooker r1r2 0.15 zs 0.20

ring L 0.19 N 0.17 CPC 0.28 r1r2 0.31 Zs 0.27

dr bell r1r2 0.04 Zs 0.09

Ze is 0.15 and the dr bell transformer is on the din rail

WOW those parallel paths are amazing arn't they

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:54 ----------

this was in an empty house with nothing plugged in and no cooker etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a number of reasons for r1+r2 higher than zs

Poor connection on croc clip for 1.

Very prob filled in by someone who just fills in the results their tester tells them, rather than questioning why they don't get the result expected

Thread tuning ever so slightly of topic,

Looking forward to you tutorial guys:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Herr Tesla,

Your post is nonsensical, can you please review your terms as they make no sense with regard to the entries required on an IEC, PIR or EICR in accordance with BS7671.

Once your terms are correctly referenced to those in BS7671 then we are able to comment on your readings.

If I were to comment on how I read these then you would no doubt find a way to rubbish my comments.

I am not going to rubbish your post, it is just that unless you use the recognised terms then how are any of us able to correctly interpret your post.

I do however appreciate that it is not possible AFAIK to post super & subscripts on the forum, but the terms and symbols you have used are not those defined in the regs, nor those required to be entered on a schedule of test results as they are posted as I see them here.

Ian didnot have a problem........sid your really getting on my nerves now...........what terms are you not grasping?

The ones that do not make any sense.

Once again i have to explain your failings to you and you are the one who states that they are the expert and know it all.

Can you please explain in detail describing every step as I would require of my 2391 students how to measure r1 on a radial circuit?

As I have never been taught this and I don't teach it on my 2391, nor do my colleagues, and it was not taught to me, it does not appear in any "official" documentation that i can find.

Herr Tesla, it appears I am annoying you due to your lack of fundamental understanding and your inability to provide accurate information in a professional manner, as I can see no other reason for your frustration other than that which is brought on by your own lack of understanding of the correct procedures that you should be undertaking, if you are as you seem to claim a professional electrician.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:30 ----------

Seems you have also resorted to negative scoobs when I question you Herr Tesla, how childish!

No you first .......again! ..what terms are you failing to grasp....maybe you are not what you claim to be

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:37 ----------

Do you not know what i meant by r1r2 or was it Zs or maybe L, N & CPC how pedantic... you must get really confused when receiving texts

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:43 ----------

seems your even more childish with negative scoobs you snake:red card

Status
Not open for further replies.