TV conection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajayess

Reaction score
OK I am in the proses of first fixing my lounge and will be hanging the TV on the wall with the SKY, DVD and cinema sound within a cabinet, all I want to know is what cabling I need from the cabinet to the TV ie. HD,Skart coaxial thanks CJS

Depends what you want to fit, I've done a few recently and have dropped as much as I can in, HDMI, phono\BNC (RG59 with whatever I need on the end basically which can be used with SCART to phono\BNC adapters), VGA, co-ax, anything else you can think of and a couple of cat5\6 as they can be used for just about anything and a lot of new TV's are starting to become internet enabled.

For Sky HD though, all you actually need to the TV is power and HDMI.

Firstly Id recommend installing trunking 25x50mm with a back box each end (with cut out to take trunking), and then plaster over, mount a data grid (single gang) plate top and bottom. Its pointless plastering over the cables, because you have one opportunity to get it right and no opportunity to fix if a cable fails without ripping it all out.

Power (e.g a spur behind TV) should be installed separately with min 50mm of separation to AV trunking

With trunking you can pull any cable you like through as the standards or needs dictate. if you need a SCART (I hardly ever install now) pull this through first as its the bulkiest

As Lurch says 2x HDMI (next standard is 1.4 relevant mostly to 3D), 1x coax, 1x CAT5 (TV supporting Youtube etc), but again if you have trunking you can pull more through easily as desired

e.g. if the TV has FreeSat pull through another coax. If you don't have a AV amp with multi HDMI in, you can pull extra HDMI's through

Lastly get your bracket so you can check mounting positions don't interfere with the nice new socket and trunking planed route

Latest posts