Two Meter, Setup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have  converted my basement, and what I want to do is idealy move the meter (main) and also connect a coin operated sub-meter(I know I can not overcharge). I have to get the whole place re-wired anyway and I have done a little reading, and as far as the sub-meter is concerned I don't see it as too much hassle as long as I get the incoming sorted, therelies the problem.

The main (3 core) comes into the Basement and also feeds the flat above me on the first floor,  ie incoming live into single (1)100amp cut-out , there is another (2)100amp cut-out with Neutral and earth.

The connections for my place are main into (1) bottom of cut-out (live) then from top (fused) tails to meter (9.1mm o/d), neutral into the bottom of  neutral side of (2) cut-out  and then from top tails to meter (9.1mm o/d). The feed for the Flat on First floor main into bottom of (2) cut-out then swa from bottom of (2) cut-out (bypassing the 100amp fuse.) and the same for neutral swa to first floor flat. The Earth form my old fuse box is connected to what looks like lead armour of the incoming 3 core mains. The Earth for the flat above connected from swa to the erth on (2) cut-out, then onto the armour of the incoming mains.

First issue

Now what I would like to do is get the DNO to move my meter and I don't see why they could not connect it at the incoming Junction in the same way as it is for the flat above, then swa it to the position I would like it into a cut-out, but I have a funny feeling that might be tooo simplistic.

2nd Issue (seperate whether or not 1st issue can be accomplished)

I want to connect a coin-operated sub-meter after the main meter via henley 100amp connectors, 1st problem Is the size of the tails,9.1mm o/side dia, 16mm from cut-out to the main meter, I would have to get the DNO to change, would they charge, ha. The 2nd problem is the main meter is rated 20-80amp, it seems under-rated if I am going to connect a sub-meter, I assume the DNO do a 100amp meter, is there a cost, ha.

I know that I would have to get the DNO to install 100 amp switch after the main meter. I am asking all this so that it is in place when when I get a sparky round, I am a carpet fitter by trade and I know how much easier it is when the customer not only makes an effort in preparation but also has an idea of what they actually want to do and how they want to do it. The good thing is although I have the stud partitioning up, there is no plasterboard on. A bit like having no furniture in the room when you fit carpet.

Any advice will be and IS appreciated , cheers

I dont know about your supplier on IOW but round my way the DNO will not carry out any alterations like that anymore. They would cut it off and put in a new supply. Although there are thousands of supplies like yours, where another flats main fuse is in your property, they will not do that or alter it nowadays. The supply would have to be put in a common area so you could have a seperate meter fitted instead of a coin one. Any new service normally costs between £2000;4000.

You have measured the outside diameter of the cables which is not how we dod it. Its the copper we need to know, although yours do sound small. Any chance of some pics ?

I dont know about your supplier on IOW but round my way the DNO will not carry out any alterations like that anymore. They would cut it off and put in a new supply. Although there are thousands of supplies like yours, where another flats main fuse is in your property, they will not do that or alter it nowadays. The supply would have to be put in a common area so you could have a seperate meter fitted instead of a coin one. Any new service normally costs between £2000;4000.

You have measured the outside diameter of the cables which is not how we dod it. Its the copper we need to know, although yours do sound small. Any chance of some pics ?
Hi Slipshod, min £2000 just to put a coin meter in, ........... just getting off the floor, here is a photo, there would be a photo, but I can't post a link (min 10 posts,).  , If the connection to the Flat above is safe, I don't see why my  suggestion to move my meter would be any different, Naive I know, but 2 grand..............just getting off the floor,  any suggestions , or am I stuck

I forgot to add, I have measured the Tails, and strands measure between 4.8 - 5.2mm if I move the caliper around.

Hi Slipshod,  now posted 10 so up with the photo ,  Thanks for any advce

Incoming_Mains_electric.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2k was for a DNO (supply company) alteration, however the pic makes all the difference as the fuse for the upper flat is not at that position

Edit, not sure what I wrote above is correct , that is an unusual connection and cant see whats fused and what isnt

The supply to my place is fused, but the cut out to the flat above seems to have been used just as a connector and is not fused but i assume there is a cut out in the flat above, thats why I thought I would be able to move my supply, basically using the same method, swa to place where I want it , into a 100 amp cut out change tails to 25mm into upgraded 100 amp meter into 100 amp switch into henly blocks to split supply A my flat B studio with coin meter, would you say that the supply to the upper flat is dangerous or SHOULD be changed.

I would add , my flat was originally a shop, but got converted around 1982.

joists_gone.jpg

old picture the new floor level is upto the bottom of the window

Hi Awl, just popped in to say thanks, and that I now have an anwser, as luck would have it, my neighbour had a new meter fitted. While we were all having a little chat , I asked him about the above  situation, and to my surprise, he actually came round my place to have a look, what a nice chap. Upshot is , can't see a problem with what i want to do, apart from not being able to move the meter, but the tails are 16mm and rated to 60amps and would need to be changed to 25mm. Although he was the DNO, he didn't know whether I would get charged, and he asked the same question as slipshod, "where does the swa on the right go?", must be an unusaul set up. Just browsing through things I still need to get and mains Fire alarms caught my interests , so i'm orf to nether parts of the forum, to dig some info. Thanks  Anyway, question answered .

Last edited by a moderator:
DNO, in my experience, like you to do all the work and then just connect up supply. Usually means arranging sparky  to do works prior to DNO turning up,and then sparky & DNO to be on-site the day of changeover. They also might insist on seeing EIC for property.