Under Floor Heating in a Bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Can you help me out here guys,a customer of mine has left me a message to say she is having under floor heating put in her bathroom in Jan 2011 but would like me to pop on and wire it up to the electric supply ? I would have thought who ever is fitting this in for her would connect up as well. any comments and help please.

Not installed underfloor heating before nor seen any installed

Thanks

Chas

Can you help me out here guys,a customer of mine has left me a message to say she is having under floor heating put in her bathroom in Jan 2011 but would like me to pop on and wire it up to the electric supply ? I would have thought who ever is fitting this in for her would connect up as well. any comments and help please.

Not installed underfloor heating before nor seen any installed

Thanks

Chas

Be very careful mate as the ufh mat should be continuity tested about 4 times At various stages to ensure it's not been damaged. I've heard of alot of problems with these being damaged during installation by various trades. The resistance Reading will be in the instructions. I'm sure more knowledgable people will reply soon but hth.

Be very careful mate as the ufh mat should be continuity tested about 4 times At various stages to ensure it's not been damaged. I've heard of alot of problems with these being damaged during installation by various trades. The resistance Reading will be in the instructions. I'm sure more knowledgable people will reply soon but hth.

Another thing to check is the mat is the right size.

I installed one (that the customer had bought) and left it rolled up waiting for the tiller.

A week later the tiller called to say the mat was too big for the room, and of course you can't shorten it, so I had to go back and disconnect it, the re connect the right sized one once the customer had bought it.

Tip. To make such changes easier, install a bit of conduit in the wall from floor level up to where the control box is located.

Another thing to check is the mat is the right size.

I installed one (that the customer had bought) and left it rolled up waiting for the tiller.

A week later the tiller called to say the mat was too big for the room, and of course you can't shorten it, so I had to go back and disconnect it, the re connect the right sized one once the customer had bought it.

Tip. To make such changes easier, install a bit of conduit in the wall from floor level up to where the control box is located.

Matty is right there, Power , its basically a mat with a heating tracer attached and cold tails to bring out to the controller. If some ham fisted builder/floor tiler is laying it it should be left till the last minute before tiles, or you get everyone marching all over it and causing damage .

You need to measure the resistance when its down ( and I always connect it with a plug top and try it) . best if the builder /client feels it gets warm then you get out of the way until the tiles are set and wire it up , if its damaged it wasn't you.

Matty is right there, Power , its basically a mat with a heating tracer attached and cold tails to bring out to the controller. If some ham fisted builder/floor tiler is laying it it should be left till the last minute before tiles, or you get everyone marching all over it and causing damage .

You need to measure the resistance when its down ( and I always connect it with a plug top and try it) . best if the builder /client feels it gets warm then you get out of the way until the tiles are set and wire it up , if its damaged it wasn't you.

Ufh is a notifyable job and should have a layout diagram or photos taken and included with the certificates you issue... so...

The whole job should be done by the electrician, not just the hooking up,, if you want to be extra sure and protect the mat then you could self level afterwards.

Ufh is a notifyable job and should have a layout diagram or photos taken and included with the certificates you issue... so...

The whole job should be done by the electrician, not just the hooking up,, if you want to be extra sure and protect the mat then you could self level afterwards.

Thanks for your replies, I can't understand why she is getting someone to lay the UFH and tile the floor but wants me to go and connect it up.

I have not done one of these before so can it be spured off the ring to a control switch or does it have to be back to the CU on it's own mcb ?

Thanks

Chas

Thanks for your replies, I can't understand why she is getting someone to lay the UFH and tile the floor but wants me to go and connect it up.

I have not done one of these before so can it be spured off the ring to a control switch or does it have to be back to the CU on it's own mcb ?

Thanks

Chas

Thanks for your replies, I can't understand why she is getting someone to lay the UFH and tile the floor but wants me to go and connect it up.I have not done one of these before so can it be spured off the ring to a control switch or does it have to be back to the CU on it's own mcb ?

Thanks

Chas
I guess it would depend on the floor area, two sizes are available which is 150w per sqm or 250w per sqm.

I have never installed any so others may advise better.

Thanks for your replies, I can't understand why she is getting someone to lay the UFH and tile the floor but wants me to go and connect it up.I have not done one of these before so can it be spured off the ring to a control switch or does it have to be back to the CU on it's own mcb ?

Thanks

Chas
I guess it would depend on the floor area, two sizes are available which is 150w per sqm or 250w per sqm.

I have never installed any so others may advise better.

Spur to feed thermostat, no probs, but must be RCD protected

Check resistance as per instructions before laying.

Check when stuck down

and check once tiled.

Fitted about a dozen - all with no problems, as long as you treat them with care

I lay the mat in thin bed of tile adhesive, lay cardboard over to protect overnight , then tile first thing next day. Leave for three weeks to dry(Manufacturer recommendation), then connect. If customer turns on before dry(which they will - new toys etc) , you can quite easily cause the adhesive to de-laminate, etc

Spur to feed thermostat, no probs, but must be RCD protected

Check resistance as per instructions before laying.

Check when stuck down

and check once tiled.

Fitted about a dozen - all with no problems, as long as you treat them with care

I lay the mat in thin bed of tile adhesive, lay cardboard over to protect overnight , then tile first thing next day. Leave for three weeks to dry(Manufacturer recommendation), then connect. If customer turns on before dry(which they will - new toys etc) , you can quite easily cause the adhesive to de-laminate, etc