Underfloor heating question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of thinking about taking up the lovely old varnished floorboards in my living room so that I can insulate underneath them and put them back down again.

So my question is this:

While I have the boards up, is it worth putting some underfloor heating in? I know it all depends on the boiler etc and I have to look into that, but what I want to know is will wet underfloor heating under old suspended floorboards (possibly with a rug on top) heat the room as well as a radiator?

Thanks for any replies,

Ali

Ali,

If you have bare boards with rugs, UFH may just take the chill off the floor, if you are going full room heating from this, then you need to go further with the insulation and thought.

I plan on putting quite a bit of insulation in because it's blinking cold in the winter. I only really thought about the UFH because we'll have gone to the bother of getting the boards up so it seemed like a good idea to think about it. I've been getting conflicting advice about how much heat will be given out.

I'll keep looking into it and see what I find.

Thanks for the replies guys

If you put celotex in between that really should help especially if its thick. I think the wet underfloor works well as long as you have enough insulation.

Wet under floor heating in concrete floors works very well...

better than traditional radiators, because the heat rises evenly across the whole floor.....

warming the whole concrete slab...

it doesn't need to get to a very high temp to keep the room comfortable..

But no idea about how well they work with traditional floorboards???????

i.e. the cooling effect of the air space under the floor????

:| :C

If you put celotex in between that really should help especially if its thick. I think the wet underfloor works well as long as you have enough insulation.
Exactly what was used in our bathroom - I'd second the usage of this...

Latest posts