Utilita Grrrrrrrrrr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just tried to transfer to Utilita, they wont take any new customers on an off peak tariff. Time to start shopping again, anybody know of a cheaper off peak than Octopus GO @ 12.5p?

Just tried to transfer to Utilita, they wont take any new customers on an off peak tariff. Time to start shopping again, anybody know of a cheaper off peak than Octopus GO @ 12.5p?
These John are from my files to remind me who might be worth looking at. Not sure how current they are now.

Octopus energy: Intelligent Octopus Six hours of super cheap energy every night 10p/kwh 23.30 to 05.30 day rate 43.40 and standing charge 42.13p/day.
EDF energy: 7p kw/h night rate, 54p peak, 39p standing charge. But you get 7 hrs to charge batteries

isn't there a comparaison website for energy providers as you have for broadband and SIM Cards?
uswitch for instance?

Octopus energy: Intelligent Octopus Six hours of super cheap energy every night 10p/kwh 23.30 to 05.30 day rate 43.40 and standing charge 42.13p/day.
EDF energy: 7p kw/h night rate, 54p peak, 39p standing charge. But you get 7 hrs to charge batteries
I'm on Octopus GO at the minute, it expires at the end of March.

EDF wont quote.

Are you asking via online or email John, I hear a phone call is the way to win.

Oh and Intelligent Octopus isnt the same as Go.

Any joy John? Octopus offered Intelligent @ 10p/kw (23:30-05:30) on line in my area recently.

I was wondering, as the uptake of home battery storage increases along with overnight car battery charging, the demand will mean a shift in loading the grid to these overnight slots.
Wont the generation plants just see a money tree and hike the prices to the energy companies in these slots. I doubt the energy suppliers are adverse to making a profit by levering the price up some either.
I doubt there is a rate fixed by the regulator that they cannot go beyond on "cheap" overnight consumption?

When posting I saw this thread https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/playing-the-devils-advocate-for-a-bit.55387/

Any joy John? Octopus offered Intelligent @ 10p/kw (23:30-05:30) on line in my area recently.

I was wondering, as the uptake of home battery storage increases along with overnight car battery charging, the demand will mean a shift in loading the grid to these overnight slots.
Wont the generation plants just see a money tree and hike the prices to the energy companies in these slots. I doubt the energy suppliers are adverse to making a profit by levering the price up some either.
I doubt there is a rate fixed by the regulator that they cannot go beyond on "cheap" overnight consumption?

When posting I saw this thread https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/playing-the-devils-advocate-for-a-bit.55387/
When off peak gets to around 15p, thats when plan B comes into play with a diesel genny and more solar.