Van broken into... security suggestions??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking on social media the scumbags don't care if it has the standard locks or dead locks,,, they're very happy to cause whatever damage they need to get their hands on your gear... IMHO more locks means more extensive damage, with your van being off the road for a longer time than it would without..... just get some decent tool insurance that covers them 24/7, wherever they are

... just get some decent tool insurance that covers them 24/7, wherever they are

Or.. Make sure anything that has any significant value to you and your daily work is NOT left in a vehicle overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!

None of my test-meters, power tools, or any other kit that costs £100+ is left outside overnight....

|ts been quite a few years ago..
But selecting the "no-tools-left-in-vehicle-overnight" was a reasonable monthly saving!!

I remember seeing a trade type van in New York a few years ago, which was sign written "Don't bother breaking in, you've had the tools already" 😜

Connect the megger set to a thousand volts across the handle on 2 x contacts so when they grab the handle they get a nice surprise 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👍
A friend of mine protected his van in a similar way, he used an agricultural electric fence unit. There was a hinged earth electrode hanging underneath with a sail on it so it was lifted during travel. The unit was armed remotely and it gave one hell of a kick when you touched the van. His van was parked on his drive away from footpaths etc, he never had it broken into.

Sign writing really does help bring business in.

Extra locks puts off petty criminals, but the more professional types just rip down the top of the doors, so I would say extra locks need to be located to prevent that happening rather than beefing up the existing locks.

I leave the roller shutter on the back of my truck unlocked, I’d rather them open it to see nothings there rather than smash the shit out of it

I leave the roller shutter on the back of my truck unlocked, I’d rather them open it to see nothings there rather than smash the shit out of it

This is sensible approach IMHO....

The wife's cousin is a builder, and his perspective has been if some scum-bag wants to get in. they can cause damage that will just piss-up the excess you have to pay anyway if they don't get in!!

It's almost better to let them nick something and you get the insurance...
Rather than they cause damage you have to pay for anyway, but they nick nothing!!!!

Connect the megger set to a thousand volts across the handle on 2 x contacts so when they grab the handle they get a nice surprise 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👍
Well my van got robbed from last night luckily a few old hand tools were all they got an old tool bag not much use to the, bastards the law needs changing like the arabs they need their hands chopping off robbing ******* wankers

Well my van got robbed from last night luckily a few old hand tools were all they got an old tool bag not much use to the, bastards the law needs changing like the arabs they need their hands chopping off robbing ******* wankers
Solution?
Work only in Qatar, you could afford to with their money and still fly home for weekends. Mind you a call out might be a little testing?

Sorry to hear, much in the way of damage?

Solution?
Work only in Qatar, you could afford to with their money and still fly home for weekends. Mind you a call out might be a little testing?

Sorry to hear, much in the way of damage?
They used a screwdriver to twist the lock and get central. Locking to unlock the van solution is disconnect key barrel from. Central locking and leave as dud

Latest posts